TIME COMMANDO + ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dif1982

TIME COMMANDO + ScummVM

Post by dif1982 »

hi, i'm newbie here, I am here to ask if you can include the game actvision TIME COMMANDO of the list of compatibility of the program. Is Windows 95. Because I would very much like to play him, and in my windows xp not work.
Hugs

Recalling that it is not piracy, because I have the original game, but just want to play it :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Welcome. Time commando is not a point'n'click adventure game. Check our FAQ as well:
http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#id2503871
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

If it had been the DOS version, perhaps DOSbox would have run it. The Windows version... Maybe someone at the VOGONS forums knows about that one.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

tried compatability mode?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I have Time Commando, and it works fine in DOSBox.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yes, but you propably have the DOS-version, no?
dif1982

Post by dif1982 »

that's right, i'm tried the compatibily mode in xp, but not works, my game is windows version, i'm tried in dosbox, and not works too, i was thinking a scummVM is an emulator of gamers.. but i know now :D so.. thanks for the replies
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Jonatan wrote:yes, but you propably have the DOS-version, no?
Yes, but I also have the Windows version considering they are both on the same CD. This was the norm after Windows 95 was released. Many games released in 1996 and early 1997 had two versions on the same disc.

You install the DOS version with INSTALL.EXE and install the Windows version with SETUP.EXE.

Install the DOS version in DOSBox and everything works just fine.

Of course, there might be some later budget release that didn't include the DOS version, but that would surprise me.
lwc

Post by lwc »

This post can be deleted.
Last edited by lwc on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

lwc wrote:The Windows' version problem can be solved via easy but special compatibility back in 2006:
md5: Snip snip removed warez forum link
But note you must not skip the cutscenes! Even if they take 5 minutes, don't dare skipping them or the game will quit.

Perhaps it is because the main EXE of the game has a problem that the program PE Explorer can fix. However, the user that had PE Explorer stopped the experiment and went AWOL. If you or anyone you know have PE Explorer - please fix the main EXE and share it. It may change everything.
Please, don't link to forums like that one :( They are in a grey legal area ("abandonware"), which isn't legal in any way. We respect copyright laws, so kindly, don't link to such sites in the ScummVM forums, even the forums of these sites.

Refer to forum rule #0
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17
and our copyright FAQ
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ

Thanks for your understanding
lwc

Post by lwc »

Well, it's all water under the bridge now.

The easier beyond belief solution is now detailed in the Wikipedia talk page for this game.
piksi

But ScummVM has options...

Post by piksi »

I mean, several companies have give away their game code to this project. I think we have enough ScummVM 'strengh' to ask the code to any company, but not a single person.

Many adventures developed on 90s aren't so pure (for example the game Cyberia) and mix lot's of elements. I'd clasify it as adventure, but not everyone do. Maybe, admins could ask for the code and leave open a new branch for these games. In addiction, i'd love they could support all DOS Lucas Games (not just adventures): Rebel Assault 1 + 2 and Afterlife too.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: But ScummVM has options...

Post by sev »

piksi wrote:Maybe, admins could ask for the code and leave open a new branch for these games.
...and who will perform a real work on these? Gosh, we have right now sitting source codes for at least 2 adventure games with nobody working on them, and you're talking about something completely out of scope :roll:

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

piksi wrote:Maybe, admins could ask for the code and leave open a new branch for these games. In addiction, i'd love they could support all DOS Lucas Games (not just adventures): Rebel Assault 1 + 2 and Afterlife too.
So far, the only thing we've ever gotten from LucasArts is a cease and desist letter. Though I guess they've been too busy making new Star Wars games to follow through on their threats.
piksi

Post by piksi »

sev wrote:...and who will perform a real work on these? Gosh, we have right now sitting source codes for at least 2 adventure games with nobody working on them [...]Eugene
And are they attractive enough to people? I mean, for example, I wouln't work on a Humongous adventure just for 1 reason: I find them boring. Even more, for children, just on English, never released on my country, etcetera.

If I check the compatibility list, almost 40% of games are just boring to me, so totally useless. I'm sure there are lots of efforts on every game wich is supported, but maybe there should be a common point to aim.

I think people must enjoy on their work (or whatever they are doing). But if they don't get something stimulant to work, it's all an ending road. Perhaps, people don't like those 2 adventures still 'opened' and don't want to work on them.

I still think you should give so many branches as you could to this tree to see how much can it grows.