Noctropolis

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BlackThunder

Noctropolis

Post by BlackThunder »

Heya,

I was just wandering if you have heard of Noctropolis?

It is a point and click adventure made in 1994 that ran using DOS.

I was wandering if it could be supported.

Cheers

Jake
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Such questions have been asked many times in the past, search the forums.

Short version: http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#id2503871
NLS

Post by NLS »

So md5 you show us how outdated the FAQ is?

As you know much better than me, SCUMMVM stopped supporting "only SCUMMVM games" looong ago.

Now if this game hides a nice "other" engine behind it (and maybe other games are built using it) - or even better it uses an existing in SCUMMVM engine... I don't see why not.

Anyway I get your point. Priority is debugging (until 0.11 final).
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

NLS wrote:So md5 you show us how outdated the FAQ is?
No. The point is that every single game that is added to ScummVM requires months of work by a person who is able, interested, and has the spare time. Until that person appears, the argument is moot.
NLS

Post by NLS »

Indeed but has anybody at least checked if there is an engine behind that adventure?

This is step #1 I reckon. Maybe it uses an engine already in SCUMMVM or an engine "close enough".

Of course maybe it is completely custom built without an underlying generic interpreter, *then* yes the argument is moot.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Check out yourself if being so interested ;)

I see Flashpoint Productions only produced that game (pun intented). Maybe they used the engine from another company, but that seems unusual.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/f ... ist-games/
NLS

Post by NLS »

The Madventurer wrote:Check out yourself if being so interested ;)
yeah saw that coming
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

NLS wrote:This is step #1 I reckon. Maybe it uses an engine already in SCUMMVM or an engine "close enough".
If it uses an engine allready in ScummVM (and the chances are low, mind you) it would be "easy". And about "engine close enough", whatever that means, there's like it has formats in common or not, so "close enough" is just a non existing thing.

And as it was pointed out our FAQ isn't outdated in that case, just because we got new developers interested in non-SCUMM engines in the last year, it doesn't mean we plan to support tons of non-SCUMM games.

And I personally agree with "The Madventurer" here, if you are interested in it being supported work on it, if not don't start to argue about things you don't know enough about.
NLS

Post by NLS »

I am not arguing.

As by "close enough", I mean "forks" that came from original engines. Could happen, couldn't it?

Anyway, this turned into a theory topic. :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

NLS wrote:So md5 you show us how outdated the FAQ is?

As you know much better than me, SCUMMVM stopped supporting "only SCUMMVM games" looong ago.
Wow, I never expected such a reply. The FAQ is not outdated at all, in fact if you sat down and read it yourself you'd find out already. I'm pasting the FAQ entry here, for your convenience:
We do NOT generally add support for non-SCUMM games! Reverse engineering a completely new game without source is a long process, and our developers are all very busy as it is... so unless you work for a company interested in providing us with source code for one of your classic titles, please do not ask.
A game engine is usually a very big and complex program, doing all sorts of different things, so there is no such thing as an engine being "close enough" to another.

If you really are interested, you can work on it yourself as suggested :) And I agree with the others posted here, if you have no idea about programming or how games work, please don't make such assumptions, especially about things you don't know enough about...
Last edited by md5 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

NLS wrote:As by "close enough", I mean "forks" that came from original engines. Could happen, couldn't it?
Nope, as we already know pretty well which games are made with which engine.

The only still fuzzy area is Coktel Vision games, especially Adibou series. I.e. we need full game list for that and preferably games themselves in hands :)

Eugene
NLS

Post by NLS »

:oops: :lol:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

NLS wrote::oops: :lol:
? please, explain.

Eugene
NLS

Post by NLS »

sorry was going to the previous post

the thread became towards me, too much "do it if you can" ( + "...ah I thought so you couldn't") for me to go on, so I chose a polite way to go out of this
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

NLS wrote:sorry was going to the previous post

the thread became towards me, too much "do it if you can" ( + "...ah I thought so you couldn't") for me to go on, so I chose a polite way to go out of this
No actually the thread derailed starting from your first reply :) You wanted answers to your questions and claims and you got them...

You can't start making claims, getting replies and then start laughing at the replies themselves (or at the people who answered you)