broken sword 1 & 2

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tigereyesdanni

broken sword 1 & 2

Post by tigereyesdanni »

hi. i recently bought broken sword 1 & 2(both on same disc). The problem i have is that i have windows vista and every time i try to install it it says that MSVBVM50.DLL is missing. I have tried to download the missing DLL file but it doesn't make a difference. it still says it isnt there. can anyone help me??
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

MSVBVM50.dll is from the VB(5) runtime. I doubt copying that single file alone would be enough to get the installer to work.

Not seen the disk [it's the one from SoldOut I assume] but you can probably copy the files off manually to your HD and run the games through a new version of ScummVM you can download from here. From info on the forum here you should know that the movies are already re-encoded and are fairly low quality (when compared to what ScummVM can offer now at least).
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

The problem is that all the files are compressed on that disc (I have that too): it needs installing before the *.clu files are available to be copied.

You could try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q180071/
doomer

Post by doomer »

I had the same problem on Vista. But it is solved easily. Yes, you only need MSVBVM50.dll. Get it from somewhere, put it in windows/system32 directory and the games install just fine. Good luck. :)
tigereyesdanni

Post by tigereyesdanni »

hi. thank you all for your help. i have managed to download the file needed and the game works, which is great, but another problem has since arisen. When it comes to saving the game it won't let me. any ideas?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Have you set the save game path in ScummVM's settings?
tigereyesdanni

Post by tigereyesdanni »

when i try to save the game it says "Unable to write to path C:/ProgramFiles/BrokenSword/Saves".

In the scummvm settings it says:
[scummvm]
fullscreen=true
gfx_details=3
subtitles=true
aspect_ratio=true
gfx_mode=normal
description=Broken Sword 1 - DVD version

[sword1]
gameid=sword1
path=C:\Program Files\Broken Sword
savepath=C:\Program Files\Broken Sword\Saves

How do i set the save game path?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Does the folder C:\Program Files\Broken Sword\Saves exist? Can you write to it? (try copying a file in the folder)
tigereyesdanni

Post by tigereyesdanni »

tried copying a file to the folder and basically it says "you will need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder". How can i take off the administrative authorisation?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That means that you've created it with administrator privileges, try taking ownership of the folder, or give yourself write access. You can do that by right-clicking on the folder and going to the permissions tab.
doomer

Post by doomer »

Here are two things you can do in vista about that problem. :) You can either right-click on scummvm shortcut, go to compatibility and tick run as administrator, or you can just install the game to another folder, different than /program files :). It's protected by default in vista, so you'd better put your games in /games or something else. ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You could also turn UAC off (that's the first thing I do :P )
doomer

Post by doomer »

md5 wrote:You could also turn UAC off (that's the first thing I do :P )
Yeah, but then he exposes his system to many threats. ;) Generally not recommended. It's easy to be protected with uac, and install games in other folder than /program files. That way he can be protected, and still save normally. ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's true. I'm not into the "protection" that UAC offers, I just find it plain annoying. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.
doomer

Post by doomer »

Yeah.. it's not the best protection ever (wants authorization for pretty much everything you do).. but still.. it won't let every program write in /windows or /program files .. So it's at least a bit useful .. But it depends of course. ;)