The Best Music in Video Games

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

Wow! I never knew Outlaws was by Lucasarts! Lucasarts hit's yet another homerun. The music there is just amazing. Sadly, it's not my favorite :cry:. My new favorite is COMI. "A Pirate I was Meant To BE."
Dal

Post by Dal »

pinkfloyd789 wrote:Wow! I never knew Outlaws was by Lucasarts! Lucasarts hit's yet another homerun. The music there is just amazing. Sadly, it's not my favorite :cry:. My new favorite is COMI. "A Pirate I was Meant To BE."
Yes indeed - especially if you're sad as I am and aim to get all the timing correct when you start the verses... :P
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

:lol: I almost died when Cutthroat Bill yelled out "If You disrespect our singing we will feed you to a kraken!" For My signture I was going to put the whole song, put I can only put one verse. :(
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Shadow of the Colossus by Kow Otani (crappy Youtube 64kbit/s mono sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnKFZy00G78 )

God Of War Soundtracks (where Clint Bajakian was involved!)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Monkey Island (especially the enhanced cd-version or the floppy-versoin with MT-32 emulation)....
wing commander 2
all star wars games....

i guess the first two are chosen because this games where the first games i ever played on pc.... okay, i played mi2 before mi1, but hey, the theme of mi1 is much better than the theme of mi2....imho.....
tadhock

Post by tadhock »

I quite liked the Dreamfall music
raina

Post by raina »

tadhock wrote:I quite liked the Dreamfall music
I look forward to hearing it as I recently scored a beautiful 6 CD release of Dreamfall for pennies. Just have to play The Longest Journey first. :)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

This is really a tough one! I will need to think for a long time to make a top 10, but generally SEGA games from the past have had some great tracks in there.

If we were limiting to point and click adventures though, Broken Sword 1 had lovely atmospheric music, real emotional stuff :)
GrubbySeismic

Post by GrubbySeismic »

Slight tangent, but FragDolls's Kitt & Sarin's vid-blogs from Jan have f'in solid intro...
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

glidem wrote:This is really a tough one! I will need to think for a long time to make a top 10, but generally SEGA games from the past have had some great tracks in there.

If we were limiting to point and click adventures though, Broken Sword 1 had lovely atmospheric music, real emotional stuff :)
Yeah... a shame that they didn't bring out a Soundtrack CD from Broken Sword!
Higgins

Post by Higgins »

There's that german dude called Jochen Hippel. He made some nice tunes for Atari ST & Amiga (Turrican II, Lethal XCess, Chambers of Shaolin...). I found his unoffical MySpace page, if you enjoy the ol' chiptune sound.

Apart from that, nothing very unusual : Doom, Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight, etc. Maybe a special point for S&M Hit the Road!
Retrogamer

Post by Retrogamer »

I really like all the old Space Quest music. I really liked the bar scene in the SQ1 VGA remake with the Blues Brothers on stage. The music on Kerona is really eerie.
I also really liked the music in Full Throttle and Sam and Max.

Now, non-adventure wise, the game with the best soundtrack EVER was Road Rash for the 3do/Saturn/Playstation/PC. Soundgarden, Monster Magnet, and Therapy? were all on that soundtrack. Awesome stuff for early 90s alternative rock fans.
crazyjudge

Post by crazyjudge »

I actually love the music on Donkey Kong games mainly the first really (Donkey Kong Country) SNES. :D
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Now that Back To The Roots has resurfaced, a whole bunch of chip tunes would have been resurrected with it, some from games and some not.

The entire archive can be found at http://www.back2roots.org/ (and everything on there should be 100% legal to download, having obtained the creator's permission)
Pope

Post by Pope »

The Elder Scrolls III (Morrowind)
I also like the battlethemes for games like Battlefield 1942 and Operation Flashpoint.