Rebel Assault

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dls

Rebel Assault

Post by dls »

I thought I saw somewhere that Star Wars Rebel Assault was supported, but can't find it on the list. Pls advise. Thanks
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, we never ever considered it since it's not a 2d point and click adventure :)

Eugene
dls

Post by dls »

Too bad. Well, one other question: I found Monkey Islands 1 and 3 on the list, but what about Monkey Island 2 (LeChuck's Revenge)? Thanks
Matt

Post by Matt »

Monkey Island 2 is supported as well, but Monkey Island 4 (being a 3d game) is not supported.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Where did you get your funny list from?
You'd better take a look at the readme.txt, which has a list of supported games. And there also is the compatibility list.
dls

Post by dls »

Where did you get your funny list from?
:oops: I was referring to the compatibility list, but now I see that it's clearly listed there... I must be losing it...
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Seeing as Clone2727 has implemented the video's, and since it is '2d' based I couldn't see a reason not to implement it into ScummVM, ofcourse is a developer is willing to spend time on it. It was and still is a fun game..
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

SuperDre wrote:Seeing as Clone2727 has implemented the video's, and since it is '2d' based I couldn't see a reason not to implement it into ScummVM, ofcourse is a developer is willing to spend time on it. It was and still is a fun game..
What? I didn't implement the videos. I implemented the sound part. There's a lot left to do, including palette changes. And it segfaults a lot. Not to mention that the entire space shooter is partially hardcoded and none of the IACT chunks of the videos are handled. I was merely having fun with the code.

In addition, I'm sure we'd all turn down any engine that would run Rebel Assault in the main source tree.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

clone2727 wrote:What? I didn't implement the videos. I implemented the sound part. There's a lot left to do, including palette changes. And it segfaults a lot. Not to mention that the entire space shooter is partially hardcoded and none of the IACT chunks of the videos are handled. I was merely having fun with the code.

In addition, I'm sure we'd all turn down any engine that would run Rebel Assault in the main source tree.
LOL, I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to you having implemented the whole video's only the playing of the fileformat, but I guess I even misunderstood that..
I do hope you're joking about not accepting any engine that would run RA if some developer would spend time on it implementing it completely in ScummVM (not that anyone might). It's not like a lot of Humongous Entertainment games are point and click adventure games, and yet they got into the ScummVM main source tree, so that would be very hypocritical..
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

SuperDre wrote:I do hope you're joking about not accepting any engine that would run RA if some developer would spend time on it implementing it completely in ScummVM (not that anyone might). It's not like a lot of Humongous Entertainment games are point and click adventure games, and yet they got into the ScummVM main source tree, so that would be very hypocritical..
No, I'm not joking. Rebel Assault would be a completely different engine. Humongous Entertainment games use the same engine.

We only have enough of the INSANE code to run the Full Throttle. Allowing Rebel Assault to run in ScummVM would be like the equivalent of having Mysteries of the Sith run in ScummVM. They share the same video format, so how much work could it be? </sarcasm>
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No Rebel Assault engine will make it into ScummVM.

A majority of HE games are actually point&click adventure games, the others still share the same engine, so support for them is almost for free, which is the only reason they are in. This would be different for RA.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Rebel Assault isn't an adventure game....why would it be supported beyond sharing the same video code with EVERY OTHER LucasArts game released around that time?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The key piece is "not in the main source tree"

If someone wants to make it happen, it won't go into the main project. It would probably go into scummvm-misc.