Fable (1996)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Redgeneral

Fable (1996)

Post by Redgeneral »

One game I would like to see be added would be Fable.

It was released in 1996 - produced by Simbiosis Interactive and published by Telstar Electronic Studios Ltd.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

looks interesting, though things like this don't happen over night...

read the faq

and there's a couple things the development team need to do, they need a working engine, source code/RE, and a donated version of the game
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Worst. Ending. Ever. :lol:

Although the game itself was pretty fun, the ending.. *shudder*. Gross.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

there was 2 ending apparently, witch did you have?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

That's the magic French Touch: strong start, poor ending :)

Fable was interesting and I liked the artwork, but overall it was rather weak in terms of gameplay and atmosphere (my biggest disappointment). And the ending was a bad cliché, so bad that Simbiosis had to release a later version with a different ending (which of course you had to buy again).
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

i found a site saying that its abandonware, it isn't it is?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PsYcO wrote:i found a site saying that its abandonware, it isn't it is?
It's probably "abandoned" in the sense that it's no longer easily available in stores, but the term "abandonware" has no legal meaning. Copyright lasts for a very long time, regardless. Unless the owners have said differently, I can't imagine the game is freely distributable.

I believe the game was made by a British company, in which case the copyright probably lasts for 70 years or so.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I believe the game was made by a British company, in which case the copyright probably lasts for 70 years or so.
Kaminari wrote:That's the magic French Touch: strong start, poor ending :)
kaminari seems to think its french
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

i have this Game as an original german edition and an budget edition together with 'Talisman' too.
The Handbook says, that it was made by Simbiosis Interactive in Paris, but the Distributor is Telstar Electronic Studios in Bristol UK.
The german translation is quite good, i have not finished it jet so i can say nothing about the ending(s).
Grafics are sure nice to see, the rest is so and so ....
It is on ebay easy to get, but there is a Role play game also named Fable... so don't get confused.

ko
heidi.wenger

Re: Fable (1996)

Post by heidi.wenger »

Hello, i just noticed this. Are there any advancements or plans for bringing Fable to ScummVM? The thread is from 2007, so.
invwar

Post by invwar »

I doubt you will find many people who know this Fable game and there is no real reason to catch up on the game. With the list of beloved games still missing on the support list, I don't see a chance for it getting supported, if you don't do it.
Les

Post by Les »

invwar wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:46 pm I doubt you will find many people who know this Fable game and there is no real reason to catch up on the game. With the list of beloved games still missing on the support list, I don't see a chance for it getting supported, if you don't do it.
Oh come on, why are you doing such a judgement? This game was quite popular in 97-8 at least in my area. The gaming magazines made reviews with high score, so people were interested. Actualy including me, I have a Big box version behind me on the shelf also.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Still, its not a case of adding the files to a list...

there need to be someone that is willing to write an engine, maybe RE hardcoded stuff, implement, test, release...

that is *a lot* of work