The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

sev wrote:
pathfinder wrote:DOSBOX is great, but for my iPod Touch I need scummVM, that's why I can't play Sherlock Holmes :cry:
So what? My iPod can't even run ScummVM. It's 3g nano.
Cheer up, some people don't even have iPods! :cry:
:lol:
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

As an update to this, I recently found a toolset on the xentax wiki with a few nice tools capable of extracting resource files, and even displaying some of the games image resources, Theres even pascal source code available.
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php?title= ... el_Toolset

It seems most if not all of the data resources are worked out,
Im going to contact the author of those tools and find out if he made any other documentation while writing them.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

oh, cool, I have a copy of the case of the serrated scalpel, nice game.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

He has other interesting related stuff for other games too :)

http://oezmen.eu/gameresources/
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Ive had an email back from Deniz
Deniz Said:
I remember toying around with the RRM files, though. I think I found thehotspot tables in there and could change their names, locations and descriptions. (That's actually pretty easy to do: Just look aroundinside an RRM resource and you will eventually find said table. You willalso stumble upon a list of extended descriptions.)

> Any ideas in which files the game scripts are stored? I assume they are somewhere within the room resources (RRM)

You're probably right in assuming this. The RRM files are fairly large(usually over one hundred KB), and only the last 256 * 3 + 320 * 138 =44928 bytes (plus a bit of header stuff) are accounted for, since thebackground image and its palette are always stored at the end of thefile. As the MIDI music and sound effects as well as dialogue lines arestored in external files, the remainder is probably mostly occupied by script data (as indicated by the aforementioned hotspot table).
That is only a guess, however, I might be far off the mark here ... If you haven't done this already, I would suggest you grab yourself acopy of IDA and disassemble the game executable. There's no real way of "guessing" script functions, so you will probably have to do this the hard way.
Its very tempting. Again I have little knowledge of x86 assembly but I think I might take a look.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

The rest of the RRM files is used by animation data and several tables (scene objects, pathfinding tables).
There are no scripts per se like in Kyra (i.e. sequential lists of instructions), instead each object in a scene has a slot in a table where possible actions and outcomes are stored.
However, the TLK files do really contain scripts used when talking to NPCs.
I've figured out most of the stuff but don't have time to work on this at the moment because of Return to Zork and Orion Burger.
fac

Post by fac »

The Madventurer wrote:He has other interesting related stuff for other games too :)

http://oezmen.eu/gameresources/
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites are also nice adventure games. :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fac wrote: Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites are also nice adventure games. :D
I never actually finished Star Trek 25th Anniversary because of the arcade sequence at the end. Up until that point, it was a very nice game, though. I particularly liked how you could screw up missions (sometimes pretty badly), and the game would still allow you to continue with the next one. (I think I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is similar in that respect, in that you don't have to find the ideal solution to everything to finish the game.)
fac

Post by fac »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I never actually finished Star Trek 25th Anniversary because of the arcade sequence at the end. Up until that point, it was a very nice game, though. I particularly liked how you could screw up missions (sometimes pretty badly), and the game would still allow you to continue with the next one. (I think I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is similar in that respect, in that you don't have to find the ideal solution to everything to finish the game.)
I also didn't finished it because of the space combat. Only recently i noticed a patch by Interplay to skip this.

Patch: http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng ... zip&ref=ps

Code: Select all

A new STAR TREK: 25th Anniversary EXE file that allows you to bypass
any combat (except for the training battle against the Republic) by
pressing the F8 key. Replace the STARTREK.EXE file in your game 
directory with this file. Also has the most recent bug fixes as of
23 March 1992. Distribution is permitted to authorized owners only.
Notice: Usage of this feature may cause some missions to fail. Please use at
your own risk!
Copyright 1992 Interplay Productions. All Rights Reserved.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

*cough* any updates to this, Sanguinehearts? *cough*
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I never started working on this, Ive been too tied up looking at Teen agent, a much smaller task.

I guess john_doe is the best person to ask
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

sanguinehearts wrote:I never started working on this, Ive been too tied up looking at Teen agent, a much smaller task.

I guess john_doe is the best person to ask

Will do.

And thanks for your work on Teenagent! My childhood memories start flowing back...

Can't wait to play it again! I still have my original, floppy disks Polish copy somewhere in the attic!
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

It's still in the queue but it will be some while before I start actual work on it, and even longer before it appears in the ScummVM SVN.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

And I didn't even ask yet, heh.

Thank you for answering john_doe.

Cheers.