Are there any LucasArts adventures you don't like?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Theo Rettisch wrote:Did anyone play Labyrinth? Noone? Good decision! :wink:
*raises hand*

I have it on my C64, but haven't gotten far
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

I remember playing Labyrinth once, many years ago now. Didn't play much, but somehow I doubt it managed to capture the awesomeness of David Bowie's leather pants from the movie.
Robot_Maker20

Remember when insult swordfighting was actually funny?

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Personally, I absolutely LOATHE Zak McKraken - it's utter trash.

Maniac Mansion had its flaws, not least a tendency to get stuck in an unwinnable state far too easily, most often by random encounters with the Edisons, but it was still enjoyable and humourous, and the difficulties could be forgiven given the era.

Zak McKraken, though - it's simply awful. From start to finish, you've got no clue what you're doing, what you're supposed to be doing, or in most cases what you've already achieved and if it's done you any good. The locations and characters are dull as dishwater, the puzzles are illogical and arbritary, nothing in it is funny, and I think I'm right in saying it's much, much more prone to becoming unwinnable than maniac mansion ever was, not least because it's usually impossible to tell if you've buggered up early on - in most other games of the period, including Maniac, it's usually fairly obvious if you've screwed something up as soon as you've done it, so saving and reloading at least doesn't always guarantee hours and hours of replaying all the things you got right after messing up. And it's got mazes in it.

Even by the standards of the era, when mazes, frequent death and reloading and replaying from early mistakes were common methods of extending gameplay without increasing hardware and media requirements, Zak McKraken is simply a stinker.

Oh, as for the EMI vs Grim debate, I agree wholeheartedly with The Red Eye - it's the content, not the interface, that condemns Monkey 4.

I think where they really went wrong fundamentally, apart from the bloody obvious lunacy of putting in Monkey Kombat and all those other throwbacks to the tiresome insult system (It was a good gag and a fun little subgame for one game, guys. Just one.), is this: The first two games, and all but the final parts of the third, are, first and foremost, PIRATE games. Occasional anachronistic jokes were inserted, with increasing frequency as the series progressed, for their absurdist value, but they never outweighed the central theme. Somewhere between act two of Monkey 3 and the start of Monkey 4, the stupid anachronism jokes finally overbalanced the heart of the series and the pirate theme became purely incidental. This, I feel, is what killed Monkey Island.
Isak

Post by Isak »

I had some problems while playing Loom for the first time. I didn't feel involved in the story. But when trying some years later I really enjoyed the game. Like other have said, I did not quite like Escape from Monkey Island. Curse of Monkey Island was an okay game, but not compared to the first two. Great soundtrack though.
CharlyDic

Post by CharlyDic »

The only game I didn't enjoy was Grimm Fandango. Perhaps it was the 3d graphics, or the ponit-click system, don't know. I will re-play it and maybe I'll enjoy it a bit more now.
evilguy12

Post by evilguy12 »

I haven't played one I have hated so far, but to be honest The Dig doesn't sound appealing to me, espically since it is a more serious adventure game (I really only like humourous ones as the serious games usually (not always) bore me to death). I think nearly every LucasArts Adventure I've played is in my Top 10 favourite games of all time list.
NLS

Post by NLS »

It's probably an insult, but I didn't seem to like much S&M.

:oops:

I know there are people who love it and this even led to a new reincarnation coming up any day now (or is it already out?)... but I couldn't get too "involved" with the characters (was also difficult with Day of the Tentacle but only in the beginning - and I got to buy it).
evilguy12

Post by evilguy12 »

NLS wrote:It's probably an insult, but I didn't seem to like much S&M.

I know there are people who love it and this even led to a new reincarnation coming up any day now (or is it already out?)... but I couldn't get too "involved" with the characters (was also difficult with Day of the Tentacle but only in the beginning - and I got to buy it).
Already out, S&M Season One has finished and Season two has began.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

evilguy12 wrote:
NLS wrote:It's probably an insult, but I didn't seem to like much S&M.

Already out, S&M Season One has finished and Season two has began.
Since we're talking about LucasArts adventures here, I believe he's referring to the original Sam'n'Max game (aka "Sam'n'Max:Hit the road"). The newer 3D Sam'n'Max games are made by a different company (Telltale Games)
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote: Since we're talking about LucasArts adventures here, I believe he's referring to the original Sam'n'Max game (aka "Sam'n'Max:Hit the road"). The newer 3D Sam'n'Max games are made by a different company (Telltale Games)
He originally was referring to the SCUMM game, but then mentioned the newer games.

According to wikipedia, Telltale games was started by (disgruntled?) former LucasArts employees :)

I know I'm getting off topic here, but you can download one of the Season One Episodes for free ( http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/lincolnmustdie )
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I HATE every adventure from LucasArts i can't play through ScummVM...

:-D
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:According to wikipedia, Telltale games was started by (disgruntled?) former LucasArts employees :)
Yeah, the ones who were working on Sam and Max: Freelance Police (before it was canceled) ;)
BlackThunder

Post by BlackThunder »

I loved all the Monkey Island Games. But by far Sam and Max: Hit the Road wins the cake for me.

Unfortunately for me the new Sam and Max games lack the kick the original had, it has forced humor and it just doesn't flow right.

They should have stuck with LucasArts.

I haven't played any others.
NLS

Post by NLS »

The problem with (me and) S&M is that AFAIK there is some cartoon series, that was never shown in my country...

So those two guys didn't really ring any bell.
clem

Post by clem »

NLS wrote:The problem with (me and) S&M is that AFAIK there is some cartoon series, that was never shown in my country...
According to imdb the TV show aired only in 1997, so the game was already on the market then. The comics appeared in 1987, but I doubt many 1993-videogame-players knew about them.