Curse of Monkey Island

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

imperia

Curse of Monkey Island

Post by imperia »

Hello,

I just wanted to tell you that Curse of Monkey Island is working flawlessly within SCUMMVM latest SVN version.

Original windows version of COMI is kinda buggy but SCUMM works fine.
Ferdian

Post by Ferdian »

Nice retro game. When is Guywood & Elaine gonna get babies in that game? http://www.worldofmi.com/
Hellish Gnome

Post by Hellish Gnome »

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this; but I thought that "The Curse of Monkey Island" was the best one in the series. Yes, better than the first two. :o I just can't describe how much I love the artistic style in that game. Plus the quality of the voice acting adds a whole new level to the comedy.
clem

Post by clem »

Hellish Gnome wrote:I'm gonna get flamed for saying this; but I thought that "The Curse of Monkey Island" was the best one in the series. Yes, better than the first two. :o I just can't describe how much I love the artistic style in that game. Plus the quality of the voice acting adds a whole new level to the comedy.
have you played MI1 or MI2 before CoMI or only afterwards? In my experience you often love the game you play first most.

I first played MI2, only saw MI1 later, and MI2 is my favorite
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I'm with clem, I think (generally) you like the one you played first (with me, was MI2). I think that works for a lot of other things too (for example, the Alien films...).
Hellish Gnome

Post by Hellish Gnome »

clem wrote: have you played MI1 or MI2 before CoMI or only afterwards? In my experience you often love the game you play first most.

I first played MI2, only saw MI1 later, and MI2 is my favorite
Yeah, you're right. I played CoMI before the others. :oops:
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I have played all the MI games (in order) and COMI is probably my fav. MI1 definitely has a place in my heart as an amazingly fun game (I first played it on the sega cd, and we stayed up all night going through the game). MI2 struck me as slightly illogical with some of it's puzzles with a bit too much pixel hunting/backtracking. It honestly reminded me of the Discworld games. MI3 stunned me with it's amazing animation, great voice work, and strong references to the previous two games. I have gone back and played it through more times than the previous games, and thats probably why i find it more memorable.
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

I played the games in order, as well, and I've always like MI2 the best. To me it has the best (and funniest) writing, which makes it the most fun to replay for me.

But, of course, I love 'em all! (Except MI4.)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

spacetroll wrote:But, of course, I love 'em all! (Except MI4.)
to be fare, its still the same game, just with a lame engine. story and humour wise its hard to tell the difference, in my opinion.
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

PsYcO wrote: to be fare, its still the same game, just with a lame engine. story and humour wise its hard to tell the difference, in my opinion.
I completely disagree. To me, MI4 substitutes original humor for lame rehashes of old second-rate characters and jokes; the new characters it introduces like Ozzie and Pegnose are flat and unlovable; I find the puzzles boring and illogical; it gets so carried away with its "commercialization satire" that it ceases to be a pirate game altogether. Plus, don't even get me started on Monkey Kombat or the "real" Secret of Monkey Island. Just stupid.

Personally, I consider Monkey Island to be a trilogy at present. I don't count MI4 as a true sequel, but rather a huge mistake from a company whose legendary adventure gaming heritage was already all but dead.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

PsYcO wrote:to be fare, its still the same game, just with a lame engine. story and humour wise its hard to tell the difference, in my opinion.
It's definitely not easy to call GrimE a lame engine. Look at Grim Fandango. You're probably thinking of the controls of EMI PC?
spacetroll wrote:I completely disagree. To me, MI4 substitutes original humor for lame rehashes of old second-rate characters and jokes; the new characters it introduces like Ozzie and Pegnose are flat and unlovable; I find the puzzles boring and illogical; it gets so carried away with its "commercialization satire" that it ceases to be a pirate game altogether. Plus, don't even get me started on Monkey Kombat or the "real" Secret of Monkey Island. Just stupid.
Well, yes, the plot has several holes in it, but there was still plenty of great jokes in there. And, yes, Monkey Kombat is quite annoying, though easier on the PS2 version.
spacetroll wrote:but rather a huge mistake from a company whose legendary adventure gaming heritage was already all but dead.
I wouldn't call it dead by this point. They had Grim Fandango 2 years earlier!
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

clone2727 wrote:
spacetroll wrote:but rather a huge mistake from a company whose legendary adventure gaming heritage was already all but dead.
I wouldn't call it dead by this point. They had Grim Fandango 2 years earlier!
That's true, but, in a sense, Grim was the beginning of the end for LucasArts. Despite being a fantastic game (one of my favorites), its high cost and mediocre sales spelled the end of traditional adventures from a business standpoint. MI4 was greenlit because it was banking on a well-established franchise. After that, even the Sam & Max name wasn't enough. Now all of the great design talent has left the company, and I doubt LucasArts will make another "classic" adventure again.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clone2727 wrote:
PsYcO wrote:to be fare, its still the same game, just with a lame engine. story and humour wise its hard to tell the difference, in my opinion.
It's definitely not easy to call GrimE a lame engine. Look at Grim Fandango. You're probably thinking of the controls of EMI PC?
well, yes and no. first of all, yes the controls were terrible and realistically its a bad idea to use basically alone in the dark forms of controls. however the models are *the* single worse piece of 3D anything ive ever seen, it looks like your playing with a bunch of 99p wood carvings, for the ships great, but people no way(i dont think it helped that guybrush seems to have a knot in his hair)

come to think of it, maybe engine wasn't the correct word, maybe textures and controls? though from what i understand this is basically what engines are
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

PsYcO wrote:come to think of it, maybe engine wasn't the correct word, maybe textures and controls? though from what i understand this is basically what engines are
:?: Engines are just textures and controls? What about logic? Sound? Sprites? Not to mention many other parts.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

PsYcO wrote:
spacetroll wrote:But, of course, I love 'em all! (Except MI4.)
to be fare, its still the same game, just with a lame engine. story and humour wise its hard to tell the difference, in my opinion.
I agree with Spacetroll in completely disagreeing with this. Just because it has the same title doesn't mean it's automatically the same game.

The story is a hack of the first 3 (with many discrepancies), and the jokes are aimed at a younger audience (dare I say immature).

It's a perfect example of what the new sam n max & full throttle games could/would have been - cash-ins on successful franchises.