Windows x64 version of ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Thunder

Windows x64 version of ScummVM

Post by Thunder »

Hi All.

I've compiled up a 64 bit windows version of ScummVM 0.9.1 with all the optional libraries compiled in (flac,mpeg2,mad,fluidsynth,ogg. If I missed any, let me know)

I mostly did this just for the sake of it, but if the offical ScummVM people are interested in hosting it or if anyone wants it, post here or PM me and i'll send it to you.
noize

Post by noize »

Post in here how you accomplished it, so your work can be replicated.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I wonder, is there any advantage in using a 64bit compiled version of ScummVM over the regular 32bit build?
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

noize wrote:Post in here how you accomplished it, so your work can be replicated.
It's not that difficult to do it. just flip VS 2005 into 64 bit mode and compile it, fix any errors. wash risne repeat.
fingolfin wrote: I wonder, is there any advantage in using a 64bit compiled version of ScummVM over the regular 32bit build?
Not really, as I said, I just did it for the sake of it.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

fingolfin wrote:I wonder, is there any advantage in using a 64bit compiled version of ScummVM over the regular 32bit build?
"If you're satisfied running a 32-Bit-app on a 64-Bit-CPU and -OS that you paid for, you're not a member of the intended audience." [*] 8)

[*] refers to Textmode-Quake[/size]
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

fingolfin wrote:I wonder, is there any advantage in using a 64bit compiled version of ScummVM over the regular 32bit build?
Generally, a 5-10% speed increase.

Which may not really be that important given that any 64bit CPU will be more than fast enough for ScummVM, but... :).
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Vinterstum wrote:
Generally, a 5-10% speed increase.

Which may not really be that important given that any 64bit CPU will be more than fast enough for ScummVM, but... :).
It may actually be a bit slower, as i've had to disable ALL the x86 asm code in ScummVM and the external dependinces and use the C code instead.

CPU usage is always pretty low in both 32 and 64 bit versions, so it's kinda hard to benchmark.

I think Herrscher summed it up pretty well :)
daun

Re: Windows x64 version of ScummVM

Post by daun »

Hi!
Thunder wrote:[...] or if anyone wants it, post here or PM me and i'll send it to you.
Just wondering if you also managed to compile the version 0.10.0 for x64 and how.

edit: Shouldn't this thread be in the subforum "Other Ports"?
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

daun wrote:Hi!
Just wondering if you also managed to compile the version 0.10.0 for x64 and how.
I never tried, I did 0.9.0 more out of curosity than anything else.

If there's some part of the process you're having trouble with let me know and i'll try to help.
edit: Shouldn't this thread be in the subforum "Other Ports"?
Yeah probably, my bad.
Collector

Post by Collector »

daun wrote:Shouldn't this thread be in the subforum "Other Ports"?
Why? The three main forums have posts about Windows, MacOS and Linux. In other words, computers. The other ports are specialty ports for consoles and portable devices.