Apple iPhone support

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yixian wrote:Apple says:
Apple takes a neutral stance - they're not going to stop anyone from writing apps, and they're not going to maliciously design software updates to break the native apps, but they're not going to care if their software updates accidentally break the native apps either.
And, where did you find that?
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Gospel rocker

Hacks

Post by Gospel rocker »

Have they hacked the iPod touch yet(As if there's any question)?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Re: Hacks

Post by PsYcO »

Gospel rocker wrote:Have they hacked the iPod touch yet(As if there's any question)?
i believe it uses exactly the same OS(wrong word?).

however on a side note, i got my hands on the itouch about a week ago, and tbh i was quite disappointed. the screen is too dry, browsing websites on it can be a hassle. while it does have a home button, i found it inconvenient. to simulate the i phone i held it up to my ear and it felt way to over sized, and cold.
however i was *very* impressed with the touch screen typing, i could type at the same speed as i do on the pc, and never hit the wrong letter.
ifletcher

Post by ifletcher »

so,
i just read this thread and looks like no one is porting it!

iPod Touch actually is jailbroke yet and you can launch any app that also works on iPhone 1.1.1,

if i could code, i would port it myself, but i dunno how to code ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, noone has expressed any interest in porting it. A porter should have *some* programming knowledge and own the actual device so he can work on it. To my knowledge, no such person has appeared to work on the port (yet)
Copse

Post by Copse »

I own an iPod touch 1.1.1 and can confirm that jailbreak works.

There are a lot of different apps/games available - doom, nes-emu, bsd-subsystem, perl, PHP, Python, Ruby etc.

iphone-dev link: http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index. ... in_Project

So if I donate money so you can buy a touch/iphone would that be enough to get you guys started? :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Nope, that won't be enough. It still requires a person who is interested in and capable of doing this.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Though, I'm sure Fingolfin wouldn't mind a donation anyway ;)
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

Well, it's done:

http://www.macrumors.com/

Official SDK for 3rd party apps coming in Feb 08.

From the second the iPhone was announced, ScummVM was the first 3rd party app that came to mind. Guess we are much loser now?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

not imo, we still need a developer...
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

If it can be done for Symbian phones it can be done for the iPhone, the Mac community is one of the most dedicated and experienced in the world when it comes to freeware/shareware.

Maybe get in touch with TAUW, see if they can run an entry on their blog looking for devs, and a topic on MacRumors? I'm sure there are many people who can and would lend their hand if they knew ScummVM was serious.
clem

Post by clem »

Yixian wrote:Maybe get in touch with TAUW, see if they can run an entry on their blog looking for devs, and a topic on MacRumors? I'm sure there are many people who can and would lend their hand if they knew ScummVM was serious.
ScummVM does not recruit developers. Developers port/do stuff on their own because they decide to. If you want an iphone port, learn how to code and do it.
Sean Su

I'll do it.

Post by Sean Su »

I'll do it. I'm not that good of a programmer, but I'll give it a shot. If anyone wants to join in with me then feel free.
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

clem wrote:
Yixian wrote:Maybe get in touch with TAUW, see if they can run an entry on their blog looking for devs, and a topic on MacRumors? I'm sure there are many people who can and would lend their hand if they knew ScummVM was serious.
ScummVM does not recruit developers. Developers port/do stuff on their own because they decide to. If you want an iphone port, learn how to code and do it.
I didn't mean hiring anyone per sé, just putting the word out.