Adding a new Game

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LeChuck Jenkins

Adding a new Game

Post by LeChuck Jenkins »

The following is rather hypothetical at this stage, but here I go anyhow: I've got pretty good inside knowledge of a very popular adventure game that's currently not supported by ScummVM - file formats, script formats, the works. It is possible that I could share this knowledge with somebody who in turn knows how to add a new game to ScummVM - something I have absolutely no clue of, I haven't even looked at the code. There'd be a bit of legal mumbo-jumbo to be worked out for that, and my employer might not like the idea anyhow, but theoretically speaking, would there be somebody sufficiently interested in doing this that I could bounce ideas back and forth with?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

You may come to #scummvm at freenode and talk directly to devs (they have op status in the channel).

Eugene
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

just wondering, what games will these be?
cappuchok

Re: Adding a new Game

Post by cappuchok »

LeChuck Jenkins wrote:There'd be a bit of legal mumbo-jumbo to be worked out for that, and my employer might not like the idea anyhow,
Just a thought here, me not being a developer and not knowing what game we are talking about here, but if the game is not currently playable under Windows XP or Vista, I can see no reason why any publisher/developer would be against the idea of having a working portable engine created for them virtually free of charge.

Whether or not the game could then be released as freeware together with a future version of ScummVM can be negotiated and decided at a later point, I believe. Submitting a new game for inclusion into ScummVM doesn't automatically mean the game data itself will become freeware; only the engine required to play it.
Last edited by cappuchok on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimvm
Spammer

Need To Develop Some online games

Post by jimvm »

Is there some online guide to creating ScummVM Games
I am new to this industry and trying to develop some Cool Browser based Online Games 8)

Moderator - Removed hidden spam links
Last edited by jimvm on Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Need To Develop Some online games

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jimvm wrote:Is there some online guide to creating ScummVM Games
The ScummVM project has never been focused on creating new games. However, we did recently assimilate the Sarien project, thus adding support for Sierra-on-Line's AGI engine. There are development tools available for that, I gather.

Of course, that means you're limited to parser-based, 16-colour games with a graphics resolution of 160x200 pixels...
jimvm wrote: I am new to this industry and trying to develop some Cool Browser based Online Games 8)
...and ScummVM doesn't run in a Web browser...
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote: ...and ScummVM doesn't run in a Web browser...
it will, as soon as Firefox is integrated into ScummVM :)

(btw April01 is approaching fast)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:(btw April01 is approaching fast)
And we didn't do anything? Endy! Get on that! :wink:

(If Endy does it, we might have it by August :wink: )