Different versions of Touche

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Different versions of Touche

Post by spookypeanut »

Hey guys,

Did the CD version of Touche always come with speech all the way through? Is the one without speech a floppy version? I just bought a copy off ebay (on a CDR: seller claims it's legal, see below), and want to know whether the fact that he describes it as coming on CD should indicate that it comes with the speech files?

Also, does anyone have a contact with the people who made Touche? I want to check with them that this butterfly-media company licensed it properly (though they also have simon sorceror on their list, and I suspect adventuresoft wouldn't put up with that...).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

If it's this company http://www.pc-sport-games.co.uk
then i wouldn't bet on it...at least the little pics on the top
(the hand holding a cd) looks exactly like the ones a scammer
operating under different names used.

He changed his url now and then but had always the same portfolio,
old Adventures mainly...those neither were original nor had he the
license to sell it

again...i'm not saying it's the same, but if a game comes on a CD-R
and not on a proper media, i highly doubt it's legal...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

It was v-direct.org i was talking about, long gone now

But some of the sites are still there, take a look here for example
Simon 1: http://www.v-direct.org.uk/Simon1.htm
Simon 2: http://www.v-direct.org.uk/Simon2.htm

Look at the designs on the CD, mine, bought from Adventure-Soft's store
had a different design, but then again, i dunno which is the latest.
I bought my copy aprrox. 9 months ago, sadly Adventure soft does not
have pics of the actual CD design

Still, i'm not sure if they are related, but i'd be careful

heh, i may even be completely misguided, they also have still their
catalog online http://www.v-direct.org.uk/parts.asp?s=CD&sub=NO
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Yeah, I know, seems v dodgy too me, that's why I'm trying to chase it up. I reckon I'll email adventuresoft first and check whether the company has licensed Simon.

The company I'm dealing with, btw, is

www.butterfly-media.co.uk
corpse

Post by corpse »

This site is also selling: Lure of the temptress and The adventures Of fat man. I believe both have gone freeware.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

spookypeanut wrote:Yeah, I know, seems v dodgy too me, that's why I'm trying to chase it up. I reckon I'll email adventuresoft first and check whether the company has licensed Simon.

The company I'm dealing with, btw, is

www.butterfly-media.co.uk
Taken from their FAQ:
Are all your software titles originals?

We distribute all types of software products, most are packaged in DVD sttle cases from publishers such as Microsoft, Focus Multimedia, XPLOSIV, GSP and our own branded products. Every title we sell has either been purchased outright from distributors, manufacturers or individuals or sold on a license basis via our Butterfly-Media brand.
Not sure that really says anything though ... just who would they pay licensing to for some of the products [like Touche]?
cappuchok

Re: Different versions of Touche

Post by cappuchok »

spookypeanut wrote:Also, does anyone have a contact with the people who made Touche?
There are several (or at least two) of us here on the forum who have tried getting in touch with anyone who may be or know something about the current rightsholder for "Touché".

What we do know, courtesy of MobyGames and Wikipedia:
  • The company that developed "Touché", Clipper Software, are long gone. The last game developed or ported by them registered on MobyGames was in 1995.
  • The publisher, U.S. Gold, joined with CentreSoft and formed CentreGold Plc Group. They bought Core Design (makers of "Enchantia" and "Universe") and were in turn bought by Eidos Interactive. Eidos sold off CentreSoft, kept Core Design and discontinued U.S. Gold. Eidos was bought by Sales Curve Inc, also known as SCi, the company behind Silkworm and SWIV.
  • Ben Daglish, famed C64 musician and coder, was involved with the development of "Touché".
If someone can get in touch with SCi or Eidos, this may provide more information on the copyright holder and status of "Enchantia" and "Universe" as well as "Touché", all of which are likely to be playable in ScummVM at some point but of course porting would be easier with the original source available to the programmers.
clone2727
Retired

Re: Different versions of Touche

Post by clone2727 »

cappuchok wrote:
spookypeanut wrote:Also, does anyone have a contact with the people who made Touche?
There are several (or at least two) of us here on the forum who have tried getting in touch with anyone who may be or know something about the current rightsholder for "Touché".
Sev is going to try and contact now. He might have better luck with the ScummVM co-lead title.

Still no response from either for me.