Nippon Safes

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

peres
ScummVM Developer

Nippon Safes

Post by peres »

Hi

Is there anyone interested in an engine for Nippon Safes?

I've been working on that in my spare time and now I find myself with a blob of code which I can't properly manage.

My engine generally works but sports an honest number of bugs, mainly because it was assembled from pieces instead of being built with a sensible top-down approach.
That obviously means the code neither is encapsulated into objects, nor it meets ScummVM standards. Think of it as a sort of rewrite of the original C code.

Moreover, my absolute lack of programming experience is keeping me from making any serious progress at debugging my engine, so I am looking for external expertise. :wink:

Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Peres
noize

Post by noize »

Haven't play this game myself, but saw it highly recommended in some reviews.

What is your engine capable off?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

noize wrote:Haven't play this game myself, but saw it highly recommended in some reviews.
And it can be yours for only £195.00 (approximately $370). I think I'll let someone else buy that one. ;)
peres
ScummVM Developer

Post by peres »

noize wrote:Haven't play this game myself, but saw it highly recommended in some reviews.

What is your engine capable off?
My engine can load most locations (at least most of those I tried :wink: ) allowing you to examine, pick up and use objects, talk with characters and the like. It does play through the introduction and character selection screen, and also features original protection.

Anyway, the game crashes randomly, because the script interpreter is tightly mangled with input management and there surely are bugs in both subsystems. Sadly, being the game scripts a real mess, debugging the interpreter is not exactly a walk in the park.

There are still a lot of graphic glitches and music is not implemented (plain midi files), but those are secondary issues that can surely be fixed later.

So, noize, are you willing to help? :D

Peres
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I'd say, it is very interesting proposition. If you're still going to work on it, it will be not bad to see it added, but first it should be discussed among the Team. I suggest you to write about it to scummvm-devel mailing list as not all Team members read and participate in forums.

As of ScummVM standards, yes, at least you have to follow code formatting guidelines. Objectization could be done later, when the engine will be in SVN. I.e. take a look at AGI engine. It is still in C and is being very slowly objectized as nobody works on it too much yet.

Which versions are supported by your engine? English? Other? DOS, Amiga, or both?

You may try to find an interested developer to join you. He could be from ScummVM Team or from outside.

Also come to #scummvm, so we could talk more.

Eugene
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

Any news? How's progress?

Good luck!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

peres does a really nice work on cleaning up the source, so I suppose, we will bring more solid proposal to the Team soon. Now the code looks almost ready for inclusion.

Eugene
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

Fantastic. Any idea if there's any common engine between the original an its sequel, the dissapointing DOS-SVGA-configuration-nightmare that was Big Red Adventure?

Here's a review.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Whomper wrote:Fantastic. Any idea if there's any common engine between the original an its sequel, the dissapointing DOS-SVGA-configuration-nightmare that was Big Red Adventure?

Here's a review.
Yes
keirondrk

Nippon

Post by keirondrk »

hey, yea I remember nippon... one of my old amiga fav's..
would love to be able to use it in scummvm one day,
just wish I was up enough on programming to be able to assist and work on title's myself...
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
And it can be yours for only �195.00 (approximately $370). I think I'll let someone else buy that one. ;)
Fundraisers seems awesome, maybe the next could be a massive buying of games for developers ;)