What about them?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jwrath

What about them?

Post by Jwrath »

Hello Everyone.

I would like to ask if the developers of SCUMMVM will put any of these games into their compatibility list.I love these games but since they are pretty old,I can't play them all at Windows XP or DOSBOX.

1)TOONSTRUCK (Virgin Interactive)
2)CREATURE SHOCK (Virgin Interactive)
3)BIOFORGE (Electronic Arts)
4)FADE TO BLACK (Electronic Arts)
5)LOST EDEN (Cryo Interactive)
6)ATLANTIS THE LOST TALES (Cryo Interactive)
7)DUNE (Cryo Interactive)
8)LOADSTAR:Legend of Tully Bodine (Rocket Science)
9)CADILLACS & DINOSAURS (Rocket Science)
10)Star Wars DARK FORCES (Lucas Arts)
11)Star Wars REBEL ASSAULT 1+2 (Lucas Arts)
12)UBIK (Cryo Interactive)
13)CRUSADER :NO REMORSE (Electronic Arts)
14)CRUSADER :NO REGRET (Electronic Arts)
15)PHANTASMAGORIA (Sierra Entertainment)
16)WAR OF THE WORLDS (GT Interactive)
17)OUTLAWS (Lucas Arts)
18)HEROES OF MIGHT & MAGIC 1 (3DO)
19)LAWNMOWER MAN (SCI)
20)POPULOUS :THE BEGINNING (Bullfrog)

If you can make some or all of these games work with SCUMMVM I'll be very greatful.

I would like to ask you something else too.
When I was using MS DOS to play DAY OF THE TENTACLE I remember the sound was far better than the sound I hear when I play it with SCUMMVM.
For example: At MS DOS when I started the game I could hear the bird from the introduction singing.
Now with SCUMMVM I can't hear it.
Is there an option that can enable the game to sound better?
If there isn't will you do it?

For your information back then I was using a SOUNDBLASTER 128.

THANXXX
fac

Post by fac »

Please read the FAQ (all points).
FAQ wrote: 1.5. Will ScummVM support other games?

The ScummVM team is currently focusing on bugfixes for our next release.

We do NOT generally add support for non-SCUMM games! Reverse engineering a completely new game without source is a long process, and our developers are all very busy as it is... so unless you work for a company interested in providing us with source code for one of your classic titles, please do not ask.
But you should try DOSBox. Some of these games work with it.
clone2727
Retired

Re: What about them?

Post by clone2727 »

Jwrath wrote:I would like to ask you something else too.
When I was using MS DOS to play DAY OF THE TENTACLE I remember the sound was far better than the sound I hear when I play it with SCUMMVM.
For example: At MS DOS when I started the game I could hear the bird from the introduction singing.
However, you could file a bug report about this.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jwrath wrote: I would like to ask if the developers of SCUMMVM will put any of these games into their compatibility list.I love these games but since they are pretty old,I can't play them all at Windows XP or DOSBOX.
(long list snipped)

ScummVM isn't an emulator, it's a collection of game engines. None of them stand the slightest chance of supporting any of the games you list. As far as I know, many of them aren't even adventure games anyway, which is what ScummVM focuses on.

It is, of course, possible that ScummVM will one day support some of the games you mention, but I wouldn't dare to speculate if/when that would happen.
Jwrath wrote: For example: At MS DOS when I started the game I could hear the bird from the introduction singing.
Is there an option that can enable the game to sound better?
The bird chirping in The Day of the Tentacle is a MIDI instrument. I don't hear it if I use the Adlib music driver, but I do hear it if I tell ScummVM to use a real MIDI driver. On my computer (which runs Linux) that's the ALSA music driver, but on yours it's probably called Windows MIDI.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Most of the games you listed are supported by DOSBox. From the DOSBox supported games list:

supported
CREATURE SHOCK
Lost Eden
DUNE
Dark Forces
REBEL ASSAULT 1
REBEL ASSAULT 2
Crusader: No Regret
Crusader: No Remorse
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh
Lawnmower Man
Populous

playable
Fade to Black

Several of those I can attest to myself, and I have been able to play Outlaws on at least two different PCs with XP. I recently got Atlantis: The Lost Tales, so I should be able to test that one, myself.
clem

Post by clem »

shouldn't that thread be in the Junkyard forum? (as of writing this it is in General Discussion)
Jwrath wrote:I would like to ask if the developers of SCUMMVM will put any of these games into their compatibility list.
and while we're at it, can you please add Duke Nukem Forever to the compatibility list? I guess a quick patch to the .php file should suffice :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:and while we're at it, can you please add Duke Nukem Forever to the compatibility list? I guess a quick patch to the .php file should suffice :)
Yeah, and Discworld 1&2. Even, The Forge and The Fold!

Obviously, these would all be a 0% compatibility. :wink:
Dr. No-Brain

Post by Dr. No-Brain »

The list is TOO long, most of those aren't adventures.
But DUNE1 is a FPA (First-Person Adventure)
If Dune1's engine is close enough to Kyrandia's, I'd be glad to see Dune1 added.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Dr. No-Brain wrote:The list is TOO long, most of those aren't adventures.
But DUNE1 is a FPA (First-Person Adventure)
If Dune1's engine is close enough to Kyrandia's, I'd be glad to see Dune1 added.
Dune 1 wasn't developed by Westwood. It shouldn't share any code with Westwood games I think.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yay, a 5 years old thread revived.

Eugene