EMI on modern PCs w/o ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Herrscher

EMI on modern PCs w/o ScummVM

Post by Herrscher »

I'm not sure whether this belongs to here or "Help and Support" or shouldn't be discussed at all, feel free to move it around or delete it.

I just want to ask, if someone got EMI working on a modern machine.
Installation and running under Windows XP (Athlon XP 2000+ mobile) is fine, but I've got bad graphic glitches (ATI Radeon 9000 mobile), i.e. the screen looks as it was chipped in 4x4 tiles.

Because there are many adventure gamers here, I found it applicable to ask for little support here.

Anybody knows how to tweak the driver for example, to get this working smoothly?! :?:
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ok i emailed lucasarts about this and they told me to use compatilbility mode for windows 98/me
to do this right click on the games icon and select properties. At the top of the properties window theres a few tabs. selet compatibility, check the box that corresponds with "Run this game in compatibility mode for" and experiment with the different settings (win95,win98/me,nt etc.

additionally You may also wish to download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. To download Windows XP Service Pack 2, Click Start, then Windows Update. This will take you to Microsoft's Windows Update website. From here, Service Pack 1 for Windows Update can be downloaded and installed using the instructions on the screen.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Hello glokidd!

Thank you really for helping me, but I am not a newbie at this. :idea: (I am just asking myself how to not sounding snotnosed while making this clear. :? )

Of course I've got SP2 and I already used the "compatiblity mode" to get EMI running at all. (I think they did not use the "right" way for binding to DirectX, as checking for DirectX 5 always fails in EMI and CMI -- BS1, which uses DirectX 2 (!!), still works under WinXP :!: )

But I have graphic glitches on an ATI mobile, meaning that the screen is a mosaic when playing.

Maybe I take some screenshots.

Thanks again for the good will. :wink:
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

You tried both, DirectX and OpenGL? Also some graphic boards may require to set to 16 or 32 bit manually (within the launcher), try them as well!
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

sorry that it couldn't help you out. Unfortunatly i have never had the oppertunity to play EFMI with the hardware acceleration. In reviewing your original post after my reply i realized that this probably wouldnt help you.
Hopefully though this might help someone else (who is a newbie :D ) to get this exellent game running (some are unduely harsh on EFMI, while personally i am jut happy to play any monkey Island game, and would rather have EFMI then never have a fourth game{whew that was long and a little off topic})
Good Luck and i hope you get to play murrayball
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:You tried both, DirectX and OpenGL? Also some graphic boards may require to set to 16 or 32 bit manually (within the launcher), try them as well!
Oahh.. I didn't realize that there is a OpenGL mode for EMI.

Well, starting EMI with "monkey4.exe -gl" parameter works fine, thanks!

Here is an image of what the DirectX failures look like: http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4028/emi3vp.jpg

Seems to me like a standard "not-aligning right" DirectX issue. I will check this out.

Thank you all.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Okay, the fix for the DirectX trouble is pretty easy:

I just activated/enabled the "Alternate Pixel Center" option in the DirectX graphics driver controls, et voila: The issue is gone.

Maybe this helps new forum members, too. :)
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Just wondering, will EMI be supported by ScummVM one day?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Angelus3K wrote:Just wondering, will EMI be supported by ScummVM one day?
Game is not good enough. Residual could be somewhat adapted to that after GF support is finished, but none of its developers are interested in that.

Eugene
Dorian Gray

Post by Dorian Gray »

sev wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:Just wondering, will EMI be supported by ScummVM one day?
Game [Escape from Monkey Island] is not good enough. Residual could be somewhat adapted to that after GF support is finished, but none of its developers are interested in that.Eugene
Another problem is that some videos are coded with Smacker and as you said here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=2993#2993
there's no legal solution for this problem.

Anyway, would a support of this game under residual be usefull without these cutscenes ?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

One could use the cutscenes from the PS2 version of EMI, which are in a somewhat less proprietary format IIRC.
Dorian Gray

Post by Dorian Gray »

In fact most archives contains Bink videos so there is no support possible for this game if a solution is not found about rad's license.

I thought to 2 possibilities that concerns smk or bik formats:

- We bought the game which is delivered with the bink dll and we have the license to use it. So what does that changes if we use a different engine?
The license is on the game not the exe ?
So we should be allowed to call in residual the functions of the bink dll.
For Mac I think there's the same kind of dll in the free Smacker Tools for Mac.

- Another possiblity is to launch the Smacker Player in the residual window. But this is awfull because of the credits/logo screen that is showed 2 seconds at the end of each animation. And we are not allowed to kill the process before the end I suppose.
Smacker Player without this screen costs $1,495 !!!
Dorian Gray

Post by Dorian Gray »

joostp wrote:One could use the cutscenes from the PS2 version of EMI, which are in a somewhat less proprietary format IIRC.
Good Idea, I'm going to fetch this version.
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

Dorian Gray wrote: For Mac I think there's the same kind of dll in the free Smacker Tools for Mac.
Just in case (because I have it), the Bink library that comes with EFI on Mac is a CFM shared library that's completely unusable by Residual (not to mention it's probably not Carbon so it can't work on OSX). So you'd have to include it with Residual, but this could lead to licensing problems, or tell people to download it. In fact, merely calling functions of the Bink library could lead to licensing problems since game developers are (of course) to pay a license to use it, so even if one claims that would already be covered by the EFI EULA that the user has the right to use EFI and hence the Bink librairy to read the EFI cinematics, the risks are too high IMHO.

I think I should stop on acronyms.
EternalShogunX

Post by EternalShogunX »

Hey everyone!

Looks like I am having similar problems with EMI. I have tried all the compatibility modes AND all the other options in the Properties window. How can I run it with the -gl option? Do I first have to take care of the installation problem first?

If so, how do I do that based on what I have tried thusfar? I have an NVIDIA Geforce 6600.

THanks in advance for your assistance!

-Emi