Myst/Riven Engine

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Interestingly I had no luck getting the Windows Myst ME version to do much other then recognize and launch, while the Mac Myst ME version was probably the most playable version of myst I tried.

I also gave Riven CD and DVD versions a swing and was surprised to see that how playable it is. Amazing work all around.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:I seem to recall Myst has been released on the DS recently (last couple of years?) by Midway.
There was some port a year or two ago, yeah. Adventure Gamers sums it up pretty well. Other than the Rime addition, it's quite bad. Cyan's in-house iPhone port should be much better, though I haven't tried that yet (no, it's not Mohawk :P).
scoriae wrote:Interestingly I had no luck getting the Windows Myst ME version to do much other then recognize and launch, while the Mac Myst ME version was probably the most playable version of myst I tried.
What happened when you tried to launch Myst ME Windows? Any messages on the console?
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Primarily I got error messages in relation to the video playback.

Warning: Sorenson Video 3 not yet supported!
Warning: Sorenson Video 1 not yet supported!

There are no opening logos or opening intro.

Eventually after waiting for the intro music to play the book will appear on the ground.

On the mac version the logos all play and the video of the book falling appears fine.

there is no error message until you open the book and the flyby movie is supposed to play at which point you get:

Granted, this is off of January 3rds SVN build. I can check the latest build this evening.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

scoriae wrote:Primarily I got error messages in relation to the video playback.

Warning: Sorenson Video 3 not yet supported!

There are no opening logos or opening intro.

Eventually after waiting for the intro music to play the book will appear on the ground.

On the mac version the logos all play and the video of the book falling appears fine.

there is no error message until you open the book and the flyby movie is supposed to play at which point you get:
Yes, those video codecs aren't supported. Those are not errors, they're warnings. The game is still playable.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Yes, I understood that. I suppose my point was that the Mac version had less of these errors, and therefor seemed more playable.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

scoriae wrote:Yes, I understood that. I suppose my point was that the Mac version had less of these errors, and therefor seemed more playable.
No, just the Mac version uses a different set of movies. The Mac version offers two versions of the Myst logo/fissure video: One with SVQ1 and one with Cinepak. SVQ1 isn't supported yet, but Cinepak is, so it will play the Cinepak one right now. When we do support SVQ1, we'll switch to that one. :wink:
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Whouah ! Terrific !! thanx :D

What about the engines of Myst 3 and Myst 4 ?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Myst 3 and Myst 4 have been developed by another country, and doesn't use the same engine. So, they won't be supported by the Mohawk engine.
canavan

Post by canavan »

clone2727 wrote:No, just the Mac version uses a different set of movies. The Mac version offers two versions of the Myst logo/fissure video: One with SVQ1 and one with Cinepak. SVQ1 isn't supported yet, but Cinepak is, so it will play the Cinepak one right now. When we do support SVQ1, we'll switch to that one. :wink:
Can owners of the PC version convert the videos into a format that scummvm understands, e.g. with ffmpeg? Are there specific files that need to be converted, or are they part of a larger archive?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

canavan wrote:
clone2727 wrote:No, just the Mac version uses a different set of movies. The Mac version offers two versions of the Myst logo/fissure video: One with SVQ1 and one with Cinepak. SVQ1 isn't supported yet, but Cinepak is, so it will play the Cinepak one right now. When we do support SVQ1, we'll switch to that one. :wink:
Can owners of the PC version convert the videos into a format that scummvm understands, e.g. with ffmpeg? Are there specific files that need to be converted, or are they part of a larger archive?
Erm.... I guess you could convert the Myst ME videos into QTRLE or Motion JPEG (FFmpeg supports encoding them and we support decoding them), but the size would blow up tremendously and probably lose some quality too. It's not really worth it right now. We will support SVQ1/SVQ3 eventually. :wink:
Anthony817

Post by Anthony817 »

Old thread I know, but I was going to ask something. Do you think Myst and Riven could be ported to the Dreamcast version of ScummVM when you are done with everything, and do you think the DC can handle it?

Oh, and this is my first post here, so go easy on meh. :lol:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Anthony817 wrote:Old thread I know, but I was going to ask something. Do you think Myst and Riven could be ported to the Dreamcast version of ScummVM when you are done with everything, and do you think the DC can handle it?
The game doesn't really require anymore code to work on the Dreamcast. No idea whether it can handle the game or not.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

clone2727 wrote:The game doesn't really require anymore code to work on the Dreamcast. No idea whether it can handle the game or not.
Well, IIRC the Mohawk games (or at least one of them?) use non-standard screen resolutions, so it may require some work by the Dreamcast porter to add support for arbitrary resolutions if it isn't supported yet.
Anthony817

Post by Anthony817 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been wanting Myst on my Dreamcast for a while, and I was just looking up open source versions for porting and saw that you were porting it to ScummVM. I was very suprised and delighted to also see Riven being ported too!

I just hope it all runs great when you release it, as I am sure it will as the Dreamcast is a very powerful console.

is there any way one could get a beta build to test out?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Anthony817 wrote:is there any way one could get a beta build to test out?
You could try a nightly build.