Kings Quest Series

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Phantasia

Kings Quest Series

Post by Phantasia »

Well... I haven´t seen anyone asking or wanting to know about this series.
Is there any prediction about wheter the series or even one of the games will be supported by scummVM?
mat69

Post by mat69 »

They won't be supported as they are completly different to any Scumm-games and as there are some interpreters allready.
You should try DOSBox or http://sarien.sourceforge.net/ or http://freesci.linuxgames.com/.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Sarien or NAGI will run the AGI games just fine. King's Quest 4 is the only SCI KQ game that Free SCI will run. The Free SCI project seems to be near dead, anyway.

DOSBox is the best bet for running the DOS versions of the SCI KQ games, but the graphics of the DOS version of KQ6 is inferior to the Windows version. Also most versions of KQ7 did not come with a DOS version. The Windows version of 6 and 7 can be run in DOSBox, if you install Windows 3.1 in it first. Note that you will need to use a CVS build of DOSBox to do this.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

I really wish there a ScummVM-like system for running Sierra games on today's computers.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Yeah it would be pretty cool, but it probably wouldn't bet called ScummVM, it be like SierraVM ( or something a whole lot more original :D ).
(edit)
J/k of course :wink:
Last edited by glokidd on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Guys, why don't you read what is written above?

Sarien is for playing Sierra AGI games which are their early adventures, notably are KQ1-4, LSL1, PQ1 and SQ1-2. It is pretty complete and runs on many systems. Similiar project is NAGI.

FreeSCI is SCI interpretator used for all Sierra adventures with versions above already mentioned and some remakes like LSL1 VGA and KQ1 EGA. It is far from complete, still it runs bunch of games on many platforms.

Of course portability of these two projects is not as high as with ScummVM, also their development, especially Sarien is stalled. FreeSCI development in last time wasn't big as well mainly because they have completely different approach of RE, i.e. their Reverse Engineering is pure: they figure out things by staring at game data, it is even more time expensive than our approach and original developers seem to lose interest in their project.

Adding this to ScummVM (yes, yes, it was raised zillion times) will not put automagically life into it. I.e. (a) it will require big porting efforts (b) there should be some interested developers, and best suited are original devs which are already pesturing their project. So what's the matter?

Eugene
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Besides, ScummVM once did try to join with Sarien and FreeSCI.

I copy-paste the story here for those not clicking on "More news..." on the Mainpage, and scrolling down to April 1, 2004.
Apr. 1st, 2004: Announcing CABAL
Posted by fingolfin
April 1st, THE INTERNET: The FreeSCI, Sarien and ScummVM teams today announced the formation of CABAL (Coalesced 'Adventures beyond Architecture' League), a universal adventure game interpreter. This new project will unite the strengths and capabilities of the projects involved, creating what the project members believe will be a revolution for adventure game fans around the globe.

When asked about the relevance of CABAL for the worldwide adventure gaming market, ScummVM project lead Max Horn commented that "[with] the market for adventure titles waning, we believe that the formation of a project with the explicit goal of running every adventure game ever released will infuse it with new life." FreeSCI maintainer Lars Skovlund added that "this will certainly cause an upheaval in the gaming world. Adventure game fans around the world, rejoice!".

In addition to supporting LucasArts' SCUMM games (including famous titles such as "Monkey Island", "Indiana Jones" and "Sam and Max"), Sierra's SCI and AGI lines ("King's Quest", "Leisure Suit Larry", "Space Quest"...), and other games already supported by the retrospective engines, the newly united team plans to continue to add further titles to their already impressive list.

Some of the juicy new modules include:
An Infocom module (based on the Frotz Z-machine interpreter), so you can now play your favorite text adventures anywhere you go!
Exult is being merged in as a plugin, allowing Ultima 7 fans around the world to play their favorite game on the many platforms already supported by the CABAL component engines - including Palm/PocketPC PDAs and the Dreamcast.
Revolution software has offered the source-code for Broken Sword 3, which will be added to the titles supported by the upcoming CABAL3D project - alongside with Grim Fandango and, possibly, Ultima IX (negotiations are ongoing).
Support for the SNES games Final Fantasy IV through VI (Japanese numbering, i.e. FF2/FF3 according to US releases) is planned for sometime this Fall. Whilst these are not strictly adventure games, the storyline and plots in this series are more imaginative than any 'action adventure' title published in recent years.
Offers by various companies, including Microsoft and Amiga International, to buy out the team have been gently but firmly declined by the leads of the joint project. "We know that we could earn a lot of money from this, but we are idealists and at this time we have the goal to reform the worlds adventure market. Once that is achieved, we can reconsider about making some money out of this."
Apr. 2nd, 2004: There is no Cabal
Posted by fingolfin
CABAL team splits over fundamental design issues

After yesterdays ground-breaking announcement, we are sad to announce the immediate disbandment of the CABAL team. Over the last several days there has been heated debate regarding several important design issues, and current tension in the team has risen to an insurmountable level.

"It's really unfortunate", Max Horn, senior developer on ScummVM and Exult, was quoted as saying, "but [former FreeSCI maintainer] Christoph [Reichenbach]'s ideas of aligning curly braces with the left-hand side of function declarations while appending them to the end of the line for 'while' and 'for' loops did not make any sense at all."
The latter replied by pointing out that "using anything but tabs for indentation is calling for trouble."

Claudio Matsuoka, of the Sarien project, pointed out his disappointment and noted that he didn't see much of a point in trying to co-operate with people entirely incapable of reaching agreements on such trivial issues. "I mean, we haven't even resolved the entire EMACS vs. vi dispute, and they're already at each other's throats again."
James Brown, another senior developer on the ScummVM project, sadly announced that he was laughed out of the project meer hours before a decision to split was made. "They just said I didn't belong, since I prefer nano as a editor..." he admitted.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

What else can you say but: harsh
Collector

Post by Collector »

And as I said above, most of the Sierra SCI games run very well in DOSBox. Sarien and NAGI already handle most if not all the AGI games. I used to lament the fact that Free SCI's development was so slow. As good as DOSBox is these days and with the new patches by NewRisingSun for the worst of the Sierra bugs, I have completely dismissed Free SCI.

BTW, though there was an AGI version of KQ4, it is rare. KQ4 was the first SCI game. The AGI version was released for people with older PCs that could not handle the high requirements of SCI.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

joachimeberhard wrote:Besides, ScummVM once did try to join with Sarien and FreeSCI.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joachim! That was April Fools joke. Take a look at the date.

Eugene
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

joachimeberhard wrote:Besides, ScummVM once did try to join with Sarien and FreeSCI.
Uber LOL :D
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

sev wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joachim! That was April Fools joke. Take a look at the date.

Eugene
Looks like I really didn't get it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Black Rose Immortal

Post by Black Rose Immortal »

Seriously, I don't want to annoy someone with stupid questions, but here you said clearly that there will not be any kings quest games in ScummVM. Now there are I-IV availible. Are you going to continue the series until, maybe VII? ;)

Just asking :)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

That was 3 years ago;)
Way to revive an old thread.

edit; but to answer your question, adding game support requieres a lot of hard work and someone interested in doing all that hard work. so the answer is; who knows?
there are currently plans of collaboration with the FreeSCI project however, so you might be in luck. but not for quite some time yet;)