Buried in Time (Journeyman Project 2)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fk198016

Re: Buried in Time (Journeyman Project 2)

Post by fk198016 »

It is now possible to trigger the easter egg using the CTRL key. The other agent is seen doing the moonwalk in the latest daily build of ScummVM. Thank you!!

dd.png
dd.png (208.52 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

fk198016 : Thanks for letting us know that both easter eggs work. However, there have not been any recent changes in the engine since it was merged so not sure why that Da Vinci studio easter egg did not work and now does. This may just be hard to trigger with the exact conditions or the code to do so may have some kind of timing or technical instability preventing it being triggered easily. Just as a note...
gabberhead

Post by gabberhead »

I have a problem with playing the german version of the game. I Have the Daily Build Version of ScummVM from 04.09.2021.

I can add the German Version of the Game to ScummVM and start it. But the intro Videos, before the Game Menu dont play. It starts directly to the menu. When i start a new game from the menu, i get the following error message:

ERROR: Failed to load intro video!

When i start the game without the Intro option, the game starts directly but the monitor in the game is black and when i try to press the middle navigation arrow, i get this error message:

ERROR: Failed to open walk movie 'BITDATA/FUTAPT/FAMNNAV.BTV'!

my Game foolder looks as follows:

BITDATA
BIT24LIB.DLL
BIT2416.EXE

and in the BITDATA folder there are all files from the BITDATA folders combined from the 3cds without the BIT_DISC files. The List of the required files i have from the scummvm wiki site for the game.

i tried to add the english gog version, and the game starts with the intros and i can also play the game. but i prefer to play the german version.

is the german version not supportet in the moment?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Does your German version include the file BITDATA/FUTAPT/FAMNNAV.BTV ?

If it does, then best to post this as a bug to the tracker at bugs.scummvm.org since it is likely that the German BTV video files have some variant format which is not loading and thus will need looking at. Make sure to include information identifying the variant release i.e. CD pressing number, publisher so a developer can locate a copy to debug with.
gabberhead

Post by gabberhead »

yes. the file is there:

D:\--=[Spiele]=--\Scummvm\The Journeyman Project 2 - Buried in Time (CD Windows, German)\BITDATA\FUTAPT\FAMNNAV.BTV

the whole BITDATA folder of the german version seems not to be recognized by scummvm. but the english version works.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

gabberhead wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11 pm yes. the file is there:

D:\--=[Spiele]=--\Scummvm\The Journeyman Project 2 - Buried in Time (CD Windows, German)\BITDATA\FUTAPT\FAMNNAV.BTV

the whole BITDATA folder of the german version seems not to be recognized by scummvm. but the english version works.
Try moving the game to another directory, without special symbols, like 'D:\Spiele\ScummVM\buried' and see if it works from there. It is known that our filesystem code may not work well with UTF8 characters and it could be the case.

Eugene
gabberhead

Post by gabberhead »

tried already. and also didn't work. it also makes no sense, because all my games are in the same D:\--=[Spiele]=--\Scummvm\ folder and all are running without problems and also the english version of the game in the same folder as the german.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

gabberhead: Try playing that file with https://mpv.io/ or similar. That should play fine and print the video codec information.
I get " (+) Video --vid=1 (cinepak 432x189 12.000fps)" from playing that video from my English CD copy.
gabberhead

Post by gabberhead »

i tried it and it was a problem on my site. the files were all there and all in the right folders, but a lot of the BTV files could not be played. even with vlc player. i took the files from my isos i made years ago and it looks like the isos got somehow corrupted in this time. i took the files now from my original cds, which i had first to find in my basement ^^, and now it works without problem. thanx anyway ;)
F8Sean

Post by F8Sean »

I'm playing with my data folder from GOG, but there's a glitch in Chateau Gaillard where the boulder never comes through the wall, no matter how long you stand there and wait. It triggers if it's your first time visiting, but not on returning, making it impossible to proceed. I suppose it's possible to complete in one shot if you know exactly which items to bring your first visit, but my current save file is past that. This is actually a known glitch referenced on the old Presto troubleshooting page, but that says it was fixed in the WIn95 patch. I don't remember ever having that glitch with my Win3.1 disks back in the day, oddly.

Unrelated, but if you walk down the first tower stairs past the first landing, the SCUMMVM status window says "WARNING: Unknown Castle scene object 79!" but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Thanks for reporting as https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13769 . Any further discussion on this bug should occur there as per forum rule #3a
vr041

Post by vr041 »

Is there a guide on how to add BiT to ScummVM manually?

The guide simply bounces people to GoG to buy it when I check it.

I bought the GoG version ages ago and have the original discs as part of the Journeyman Project Trilogy Box Set I got around 15 years ago from memory- or maybe it was longer. However i'm planning on seeing if I can get this to work on a Retropie setup, running ScummVM. To maximise performance, I'd prefer to let that version of the ScummVM engine handle the gruntwork directly, rather than having a resource hog situation of the Pi having to convert its way through whatever version of ScummVM the GoG version is using and then having that go through additional emulation with Dosbox, presuming I can even get the minimum version of Windows to emulate in the first place.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

vr041: See https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.7.1/use_ ... games.html and https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.7.1/use_ ... files.html

With GOG you would need to get the datafiles by either just running the installer and then finding the game data on the hard disk in the installed folder, or by unpacking the installer using relevant tools i.e. innoextract, unshield, cabextract, 7zip... Quite a few of the GOG games, especially if using original engine and/or DOSBox will have the datafiles as a ISO CD/DVD image or other disk images. I think these tend to be named something with the suffix GOG and you can mount or unpack these to extract the required datafiles.
vr041

Post by vr041 »

Thanks, the wiki listing you posted (completely different to the wiki entry I was looking at) was a definite help.

Just a heads up: the first link isn't helpful at all in cases like this. When you're running ScummVM through Retroarch (the multi-emulator front-end for a RetroPie), that entire guide for adding games to ScummVM becomes utterly irrelevant, as the interface is completely different for it, as is the method of adding games to the SD card which serves as its hard drive. In fact this guide is what needs to be followed in that case.

Just something to note for future reference.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

vr041 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:19 pm Just a heads up: the first link isn't helpful at all in cases like this. When you're running ScummVM through Retroarch (the multi-emulator front-end for a RetroPie), that entire guide for adding games to ScummVM becomes utterly irrelevant, as the interface is completely different for it, as is the method of adding games to the SD card which serves as its hard drive.
We do not recommend using that method. It is in fact what they're doing is utterly irrelevant and should never happen in the first place. It is just plainly stupid to ask people to create some files manually while the ScummVM detection system does it all.

And before you object, this is finally coming to an end because there is a dev who finally stopped this insanity and rewrote the core interface in a way with proper engineering.

Eugene