Quest for Glory V?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stingm

Quest for Glory V?

Post by Stingm »

Just thought I would ask if or when quest for glory v will be supported?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Quest for Glory V?

Post by criezy »

I think nobody knows the answer to that question. It might happen someday. Or not.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

They used a completely different engine for the fifth game, so supporting it wouldn't just be a simple matter of making some extensions to the existing sci engine. Someone would need to reverse engineer the game from scratch and make an entirely new engine just for it. Since I'm not aware of anyone who's working on it, I wouldn't expect support any time soon.
Stingm

Post by Stingm »

Thank you for the response. I had no idea it was a different engine.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Game engine aside, it also had no DOS version. So unless ScummVM covers also Macintosh games (Wikipedia claims it was done for Windows and Macintosh), it's a problem on its own.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

No DOS version is really not an issue. We support games that were released on Windows, Mac, Amiga, PlayStation, 3DO, Atari, NES, Linux, Xbox, and others... ScummVM is not an emulator, so unlike DosBox for example is not tied to a specific platform.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Actually wasn't aware of it. Are there any Windows supported games for any classics that had no DOS versions (be it the original Scumm, SCI games, the Inherit the Earth remake, etc.)?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lwc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:39 am Actually wasn't aware of it. Are there any Windows supported games for any classics that had no DOS versions (be it the original Scumm, SCI games, the Inherit the Earth remake, etc.)?
Looking at the compatibility list for ScummVM 2.2.0, there are at the very least The Curse of Monkey Island, The Feeble Files, The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble, Blade Runner, Myst, Riven, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties [*], Starship Titanic, Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths, and a bunch of Humongous Entertainment games.

That's not an exhaustive list (and I'm not sure all of them count as classics). They're just the ones I noticed at a quick glance.

[*] I'm sure someone would get upset with me if I didn't mention that one.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, Plumbers are particularly important!