DiscWorld Noir

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

neosmagus wrote:I've got Discworld Noir working on my P4 3.2, Windows XP machine perfectly fine, no hacks, no no-cd patches, no problem.

Just got good ol' Windows XP compatibilty switched on to put it in 640x480 256colour mode.

What I have noticed is that the main menu crashes on options and load... if you want to load a game you go to new game first, and then go to the load screen.
That was my observation as well (see post above). DW 1+2 however seem impossible to run in XP without resorting to some form of emulation (DOSbox or VDMSound). When there is now the promise of a native portable interpreter engine instead, DOSbox does sort of seem like a rather suboptimal solution since it introduces so much overhead in terms of emulated hardware/software compared to a real engine like ScummVM. I hope the team gets the source soon.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

yeah... I got them running fine with VDM sound... but I am so looking forward to playing DW1 and 2 in ScummVM!

Does DW2 work in Dosbox? Isn't there an issue with changing cds?

Because the main annoyance with an dos-based game is that my screen, for some reason, doesn't like 60hz refresh rate... flickers... its quite annoying. If I play in Dosbox, I could play window mode and get rid of the refresh problem. (until it gets implemented in ScummVM :wink: )
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

FWIW, all 3 Discworld games work fine without any tweaking whatsoever on my PlayStation (2), so they might be worth hunting down.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

neosmagus wrote:Does DW2 work in Dosbox? Isn't there an issue with changing cds?
I believe the best way to run DW2 is to use the Win32 version, which unfortunately doesn't work in XP. The discs come with two executables, one for DOS and one for Windows. The Windows one (supposedly) has some added benefits and uses DirectX. My guess (even though I'm not a programmer) is that it will be the easier one to port of the first two games, because considering that is is adapted to DirectX, it's most likely not using as much (if any) x86 assembly, like the DOS versions would.
joostp wrote:FWIW, all 3 Discworld games work fine without any tweaking whatsoever on my PlayStation (2), so they might be worth hunting down.
Does DW2 and Noir (the PS versions) run in 640x480 like the PC versions do? Considering they're really PSOne games, I think they're likely to use a lower resolution (320x240 wouldn't be too far off). Might be good to have in the collection for completeness and geek cred, and they might actually use a higher resolution if displayed in an emulator, but to actually play them I'd rather have the PC versions running natively (with ScummVM) on $OS_of_choice.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

cappuchok wrote:Does DW2 and Noir (the PS versions) run in 640x480 like the PC versions do? Considering they're really PSOne games, I think they're likely to use a lower resolution (320x240 wouldn't be too far off).
I've never played the PC version of 2, but I guess the PSX versions are indeed lower-res. It's also only 1 disc.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

joostp wrote:I've never played the PC version of 2, but I guess the PSX versions are indeed lower-res. It's also only 1 disc.
Definitely low-res, then, or it wouldn't fit. Some PSX games do have the odd property of really using high-res graphics but because of the limitations of the PSX hardware it only shows in emulators running in 640x480 and higher.
bainomamueles

Post by bainomamueles »

trin wrote: This is incorrect. Discwold Noir runs fine on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The only thing you need is a NO-CD Crack, because Securom-check is buggy.
Yep, thats true. With the NO-CD Crack it runs fine. But as someone has said before, you'll have to use de F1 menu, not the main screen buttons.
With Discworld 1 use VDMSound.
Discworld 2 is utterly unplayable on XP, it crashes just at the main screen.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

Windows version doesn't seem to work on XP... for me it doesn't even get into the game before it crashes with an error.

But if you install the Dos version of Discworld 2, it works fine, together with VDMSound.
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

runing discworld 2 in dos mode is kind of strange to me, as i always runned in windows 98 and the feeling isn't right as running it in windows mode, the gameplay experience isn't the same
Last edited by cpt. wesker on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

what do you mean? The two versions are identical.
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

of course they are indentical, trust me, the whole experience is kind of different, try the windows version on windows 95, or 98, and try through dos mode. try it and please try to eloquently explain it here. i bought discworld 2 in 1996 (it had nice cover - ah, what did i know back then...) and played enough recall the right feeling, plus the dos version is a little pixelized and the sound is lower on quality, the gameplay is kind of "heavier"
Last edited by cpt. wesker on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

I've played both versions. I always played Windows version until XP, and then switched to the Dos version out of necessity. Maybe the only difference I can think of is that the performance of the Dos version is slightly slower cause it uses Vesa instead of DirectX. But especially on my machine, that is barely noticeable.
tanatie

Post by tanatie »

I really wish I had a really crappy computer so that I could play the best games...now it's not good enough for the new games (suxky graph. card) and too good for old games like DW...why can't they just make up theri mind about what kind of a comp you'll need to play a goddamn game??
saulob

Post by saulob »

try to install VMWARE.. or any Virtual PC application (google!) and create a dos machine :D

:D
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Wow... talk about thread resurrection :shock: :lol: