DiscWorld Noir

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TSDgeos

DiscWorld Noir

Post by TSDgeos »

In http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld you mention Discworld 1 and 2 source code may be delivered to you, any possibility you can get Discworld Noir code also? I'd like to help in coding such an engine if possible.
xLoial

Post by xLoial »

It's been a while since I played Discworld Noir (never finished it, got stuck... Maybe I should pick it up again...), but isn't it kind of pseudo 3D-ish? Prerendered or something? Probably this has been answered before, but I guess DWN's layout is to radically different from the usual ScummVM games to be included... A standalone engine would probably be a better idea...

-Herman
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, I've explained it in one of the threads. It will not go directly into ScummVM, as it is in 3D (not pseudo, but real 3D). We already have a subproject for 3D game, which is Grim Fandango. The Subproject is called residual. But Noir engine cannot go into residual either as that is too GF-centirc. So if it even will be connected with ScummVM, that will be as a completely separate subproject.

Eugene
trin

Post by trin »

Well, there is not a single line code written for neither discworld 1 nor discworld 2 and you already asking for discworld 3?

just wait until disc(o)world 1 or 2 are finished and then ask for noir.
or maybe you start the project by yourself?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, again, if it will ever be a project, that will be a project by itself. I bet Noir engine has a little or no resemblance of first two 2D games.

Eugene

PS. This is Junkyard forum, so everything which doesn't violate Forums Rules could be discussed.
Ender
Retired

Re: DiscWorld Noir

Post by Ender »

Apart from the 3D reasons mentioned above, the legal rights for Noir are (or at least were) not quite as simple as Discworld, thus it's not something we have looked into.
TSDgeos wrote:In http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld you mention Discworld 1 and 2 source code may be delivered to you, any possibility you can get Discworld Noir code also? I'd like to help in coding such an engine if possible.
TSDgeos

Post by TSDgeos »

As said i would work on such a project if given some early tips on how to begin and if the source code is accessible. As you said you already have contact with people to get Discworld 1 and 2 sources i thought it would be easier to ask if you already had talked about Noir code/etc.
carrrramba

Post by carrrramba »

sev wrote:...We already have a subproject for 3D game, which is Grim Fandango. The Subproject is called residual. ...

Eugene
hmmm ...is there any info about this project i can poke my nose in? :)

ay
carrrramba
carrrramba

Post by carrrramba »

ah ...never mind - i've found it in your wiki :)

ay
carrrramba
awa64

Post by awa64 »

trin wrote:Well, there is not a single line code written for neither discworld 1 nor discworld 2 and you already asking for discworld 3?

The thing is... Discworld 1 and 2 are relatively usable under XP. They're still a bit obnoxious, but they'll run.

Discworld Noir is unplayable on just about any current system.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

awa64 wrote:Discworld Noir is unplayable on just about any current system.
Aye. It's a buggy mess. A new executable would be very welcome.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

awa64 wrote:The thing is... Discworld 1 and 2 are relatively usable under XP. They're still a bit obnoxious, but they'll run.

In an unexpected ironic twist, I've found the exact opposite to be the case. Discworld 1 & 2 are both unplayable on Windows XP (sans DOSbox which I consider a very sub-par solution for any game), while Noir runs perfectly in 9x compatibility mode, as long as you also remember to start a new game even when wishing to load an old one instead of just loading it from the startup screen.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

To answer the original question, Noir was (at the time of the current 'deal') still under license and being sold. Thus, we cannot obtain the code for it.

I actually believe that the license was supposed to expire sometime this year, but it's not something I'm going to look into or ask about until we get the code we're currently after.

So to sum it all up, there are just too many legal dramas associated with Noir at the moment... even if someone in the ScummVM team was to willing to make a Noir engine.
trin

Post by trin »

awa64 wrote:
trin wrote:Well, there is not a single line code written for neither discworld 1 nor discworld 2 and you already asking for discworld 3?

The thing is... Discworld 1 and 2 are relatively usable under XP. They're still a bit obnoxious, but they'll run.

This is incorrect. Discwold Noir runs fine on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The only thing you need is a NO-CD Crack, because Securom-check is buggy.
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

I've got Discworld Noir working on my P4 3.2, Windows XP machine perfectly fine, no hacks, no no-cd patches, no problem.

Just got good ol' Windows XP compatibilty switched on to put it in 640x480 256colour mode.

What I have noticed is that the main menu crashes on options and load... if you want to load a game you go to new game first, and then go to the load screen.