Sightly OT: X-Wing mission differences between editions

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

a.borque

Sightly OT: X-Wing mission differences between editions

Post by a.borque »

Hi!
I am aware this is slightly OT for ScummVM, but as this is Lucasfilm related and I expect some veteran gamers from the 90s here I hope it is tolerable in the junkyard...
My question: Lucasfilms spaceflight simulator X-Wing was originally released in 1993 and had two enhanced re-releases in 1994 and 1998 AFAIK. According to some sources among graphical enhacements some missions were modified (i.e. made easier) for these revisions. Is there a comparison or list of the changes in the missions somewhere? I haven‘t found any, while there are various comparisons for graphical differences. Furthermore all Let‘s plays on Youtube seam to feature the later versions...
Thanks and stay healthy!
A.Borque
Blakes7

Re: Sightly OT: X-Wing mission differences between editions

Post by Blakes7 »

This is what I can find from pcgaming wiki

Version differences • Link

Playing the DOS version in DOSBox is probably the easiest and most straightforward way to experience the game.
Collector's CD-ROM Edition • Link

The original release came on five floppies and ran at 320x200 resolution while the collectors CD-ROM came on a single CD and featured an upgraded game engine based on TIE Fighter with support for gouraud-shading. This version also includes voice-overs for several characters in the game. Both versions run great in DOSBox without major issues and don't require a joystick to play.
Collector Series Edition • Link

In 1998 a bundle of X-Wing and TIE Fighter ported to Windows 95/98 was released. This version features further enhanced graphics due to an upgrade to the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter engine. The game now included 3D-acceleration support (Direct3D), the use of proper textures instead of primitive gouraud-shading and completely redone concourse graphics. The iMUSE dynamic music system, however, was removed in favor of conventional CD-audio tracks. Furthermore, this version requires a joystick/gamepad and cannot be played with the mouse unless a joystick-emulation program such as PPJoy is used. The problems and fixes in this article mostly relate to this version of the game.
Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition • Link
The GOG.com release of the game, it includes the DOS and the Collector's CD-ROM Edition (Windows) releases of the game along with all expansions. It also has compatibility for modern systems.