AGS ported to SCUMMVM?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mike_2000

AGS ported to SCUMMVM?

Post by Mike_2000 »

I know there was an attempt to port it over a few years ago, and I know there was another attempt to port it a few months ago, but it seems that both of those attempts were discontinued. I really love both AGS and SCUMMVM, and I hope that someday I will be able to play my favorite AGS Games on all platforms offered by SCUMMVM.

My main question is, what happened to the most recent attempt to port AGS to SCUMMVM, and are there any plans to continue working on it or any related projects?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: AGS ported to SCUMMVM?

Post by dreammaster »

Mike_2000 wrote:My main question is, what happened to the most recent attempt to port AGS to SCUMMVM, and are there any plans to continue working on it or any related projects?
Since the recent work was being done by a single user on the main AGS Github account (https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/scummvm/tree/ags), it would likely be more forthcoming to contact him to see if he has any plans to resume working on it. Or check on their forums.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

AGS 3.5.0 is coming along in compatibility (major exceptions are old bitrotten or closed source plugins like 'agslua', 'agscreditz' or 'ags_fire').

Especially since the steam and galaxy stubs were introduced. I really really doubt a scummvm would do this well (though they may do better in other places, like runtime patching of game bugs as they're doing for SCI).

The reason is simple, stubbing these stupid dlls can be argued to be 'circumventing drm'. And we all know what happens then in scummvm, you'd basically end up with a version of ags that won't run any high profile ags games.

You're better off asking for retroarch compatibility to the original devs, more chance of getting ports that way.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Serious Callers Only wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm The reason is simple, stubbing these stupid dlls can be argued to be 'circumventing drm'. And we all know what happens then in scummvm, you'd basically end up with a version of ags that won't run any high profile ags games.
And what is the problem with that? I do not understand. ScummVM is not GPLv3.

Eugene