Which Version of Gold Rush on Steam?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

Which Version of Gold Rush on Steam?

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

I see Gold Rush (the original AGI game) is currently on sale on Steam. Now I'm wondering, what did they do about the game's copy protection? Did they just upload the (buggy) pirated version? (Yes, that's very common.) Did they leave the protection intact? Did they remove it some other way that doesn't break the game? Does anyone know what the Steam version is like, and can they tell me? Might considering buying it if it's not horribly broken.
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

I installed it and pointed ScummVM 1.7.0 towards the installation directory and it got detected as "Gold Rush! (3.0 1998-12-22 3.5"/DOS/English)". The game starts with "The Software Farm" logo, there's no copy protection and the ingame about-menu button gives this:

"GOLD RUSH!
Version 3.0
Dec. 22, 1998".

Haven't played it further (Just walked around the couple of first rooms). Hope this info helps...
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

So the game doesn't begin on a field then? Cause that's what the cracked version does. (One of its many bugs.) You can easily see it on youtube, it seems most videos are played with pirate copies!

Hmm, well, I believe Scummvm refuses to detect the cracked version as well (I assume on purpose) and I suppose judging from the date it's the version the McNeils have been selling on their ancient website in a collector's box. (So I guess they didn't include the huge book?) I guess they retained the source code or something.

Well, I'm guessing this means the Steam version isn't bugged out the ass anyway. I guess the logo seen in the promo videos was captured from the game. I thought it looked too clear for AGI but... ehh? I guess it's worth buying then, anyway.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Yes, it is version 3, provided by the MacNeills.
CarSteph
Spammer

Post by CarSteph »

What is bugs by the way, is it some kind of a virus or whatever?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »