www.sierra.com reopened

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

When Telltale announced they had lost the King’s Quest license, the article that announced the cancellation stated that Activision had their own plans for the series. I hope this has something to do with it.

A post on Twitter by GameTrailers TV's Geoff Keighley points towards it:
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/statu ... 9403930624

Credible reports coming in that @theoddgentlemen is working on a new King's Quest game. #sierra #gamescom
Last edited by JenniBee on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Hmmm, and old-school Sierra composer Ken Allen just got a job with The Odd Gentlemen.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I thought it was with Petroglyph Games. Anyway, this is tacked onto the end of site's Main.js script:

http://sierrahelp.com/forums/download/file.php?id=4346
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

It's been confirmed. Sierra is coming back as Activision's indie label, and a new King's Quest game is being made by The Odd Gentlemen, which is scheduled to be released in 2015.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

Too bad the game looks like it is going to be a Platform-adventure game. I really think it is going to be lacking in puzzles.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

monkeymadness wrote:Too bad the game looks like it is going to be a Platform-adventure game. I really think it is going to be lacking in puzzles.
Platforming mechanics and adventure puzzles can actually be blended quite well together. I thought that The Cave did this well, except for the backtracking. If they were to have mechanics like The Cave, but with a system for having multiple inventory items at one time to eliminate backtracking altogether, it could potentially be a great adventure game.
Collector

Post by Collector »

The Oddfellows have assured that there will be puzzles. It will be an adventure, just not point and click.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

JenniBee wrote:Platforming mechanics and adventure puzzles can actually be blended quite well together. I thought that The Cave did this well, except for the backtracking. If they were to have mechanics like The Cave, but with a system for having multiple inventory items at one time to eliminate backtracking altogether, it could potentially be a great adventure game.
Collector wrote:The Oddfellows have assured that there will be puzzles. It will be an adventure, just not point and click.
I myself didn't like The Cave very much. A lot of it had to do with the backtracking. I also feel like those kind of games are rather linear. One stage to the next, if that makes sense. You figure out a puzzle then go on to the next one, allowing access to more of the level. I like the whole walking around the entire world, picking up stuff, and putting things together to solve things (I feel that makes for a better puzzle game). And while Collector is right about there being puzzles for sure, I just hope that they make them more involved. Something that I believe is hard to do with a game of this style.
Collector

Post by Collector »

You cannot deduce that much from a single trailer. There is an article currently in Gameinformer that gives a lot more information about the game. From that it will be a lot closer to a traditional KQ in design, just not point and click. My main complaint is that it will be episodic.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

Collector wrote:You cannot deduce that much from a single trailer. There is an article currently in Gameinformer that gives a lot more information about the game. From that it will be a lot closer to a traditional KQ in design, just not point and click. My main complaint is that it will be episodic.
Your right, I can't get much from the trailer. But since he is performing jumps(watch at :29 and 1:02), climbing ropes (watch at :23), etc. that seem to be actual gameplay and not cut-scenes. It seems like those are elements of the game and as such the game will play out like "The Cave" or remember Sierra's old Hobbit game? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit ... eo_game%29)
I could be way wrong and I'm going to play it like everyone else. Just makes me nervous. I don't want to have to play another King's Quest 8!

Kings Quest Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmngxL-P2g)
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

monkeymadness wrote:But since he is performing jumps(watch at :29 and 1:02), climbing ropes (watch at :23), etc. that seem to be actual gameplay and not cut-scenes.
In classic KQ there were also elements like climbing and jumping (and you could die in the process), so one can say judging by trailer that upcoming game will be actually very faithful to the original.
monkeymadness

Post by monkeymadness »

Seldon wrote:In classic KQ there were also elements like climbing and jumping (and you could die in the process), so one can say judging by trailer that upcoming game will be actually very faithful to the original.
I guess I'm more of a lucasarts guy then. I don't prefer that type of stuff. I feel like KQ 6, which is my favorite, lacked much of this in its game.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

monkeymadness wrote:
I guess I'm more of a lucasarts guy then. I don't prefer that type of stuff. I feel like KQ 6, which is my favorite, lacked much of this in its game.
I didn't say I like it. I'm merely saying that you contradict yourself by implying that climbing and jumping is not in mood of King's Quest series. Speaking of Kings Quest 6 - you do remember climbing the cliffs of logic, that require some mouse dexterity? I suggest to patiently wait for finished game, and then judge it. I don't think you can draw any meaningful conclusions from few minutes of animation out of context.
spk64

Post by spk64 »

I want a Laura Bow 2 Remake or they can close it immediately! :cry: