Sierra SCI EGA digital samples

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Sierra SCI EGA digital samples

Post by CaptainJei »

I know a lot of us were surprised to hear the digital sample of Roger Wilco thinking "Where am I?" in Space Quest 3, which practically none of us knew existed until playing it in ScummVM. So, I was curious as to how many other Sierra SCI EGA-era games have digital samples, so I looked through all the resources using SCI Viewer (my sister and I had managed to collect all of the Sierra games of that era, except for the Leisure Suit Larry games, which I've since acquired).

The results were a bit disappointing. It seems that only 4 games contain digital samples:

Quest for Glory 2
Space Quest 3
King's Quest 1 SCI
Mixed-up Mother Goose (1990)

A lot of them seem to be recordings of MT-32 sound effects, though there are exceptions. The only actual 'speech' are the "Where am I?" in Space Quest 3 and the genie's laughter in the intro to Quest for Glory 2.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Very true. Which makes using digital sound effects in most cases pointless, if you have the ROMs for MUNT or own an MT-32. Luckily, there are tools available to strip digital samples from SCI0 sound samples. I may do this with SQ3 and QFG2 by removing all digital samples excluding the "speech" ones. As far as I know, however, KQ1's are entirely original and not MT-32 lo-fi recordings.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I think you're right about KQ1. That splash sound at the beginning doesn't sound like the signature Roland splash.