Roland MT-32 to USB

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

k0da

Roland MT-32 to USB

Post by k0da »

I've just purchased a Roland MT-32 synth. Can anyone recommend a good MIDI to USB device that will work well with DOSBox and ScummVM?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I use this one. It works in Linux and Windows with no problems (nowadays anyway).

It has a weird firmware bug that doesn't affect windows (and Linux was patched to get around it) and also doesn't affect ScummVM (on any OS - ScummVM was patched to get around it). It may affect OS X with DOSBox though. Cannot say for sure since I don't have OS X.
balpat

Post by balpat »

I use a RoMI/O II and it works flawlessly and I suppose most MIDI/USB-devices will.

In both DOSBox and ScummVM it is only necessary to choose midi-device 2.
k0da

Post by k0da »

Thank you both for your replies. I can't argue with the price of the one on Amazon. The RoMI/O II seems to be quite a bit more expensive from what I can tell, but thanks for the suggestion balpat.
balpat

Post by balpat »

Honestly, I would probably take the one from Amazon as well. I thought it might be a good idea to have two MIDI Interfaces because I had originally planned to buy an additional MT-32 to my CM-32L but there's really no reason.

I think that probably all these USB-MIDI devices will work.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

You don't need two midi interfaces to use two midi devices. You can sort of daisy chain them (each one has an in and out)

(all you need is additional midi cable)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Correct. Plug a midi cable from the first MT-32's THRU jack to the second's IN jack.