Is it possible to scummvm the strategy game like dune2?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

UFO

Is it possible to scummvm the strategy game like dune2?

Post by UFO »

Is it possible to scummvm these strategy DOS games like dune1, dune2, X-com UFO 1 and 2, and Master of orion, Master of Magic, Sid meiyer's Civilization, and Grandest Fleet?
Because they are too slow to play under DOS-BOX.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, we are concentrated on point and click adventures.

Eugene

PS. That's an interesting new verb 'to scummvm'. I wonder what does it mean.
UFO

Post by UFO »

point and click adventures only?

But you have made Lands of Lord work under the windows OS, and Lands of Lore is more than point and click, that is a 2D shooter game as Shadow caster, They require massive screen changes, clicking mouse buttons and pressing hotkeys to play.

When I saw when scummvm could make Lands of lore work under windows, I thought scummvm might be able to do the same for other similar games.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Lands of Lore only works because it's the same engine used as another game ScummVM was trying to natively support. Kyrandia, I believe. Which is a P&C game. That's the only reason, AFAIK.
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

UFO have you read dosbox's manual?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

UFO wrote:point and click adventures only?

But you have made Lands of Lord work
Oh, thank you for kindly reminding that.

Let me just quote the original Lands of Lore announcement:
LoL announcement wrote: A quick side note: Unlike other ScummVM supported adventure games, Lands of Lore is an RPG (Role Playing Game). We are supporting it as it uses the same engine (KYRA) as The Legend of Kyrandia series. Please do not ask us to support other RPGs!
Eugene
Les

Post by Les »

UFO wrote:point and click adventures only?

But you have made Lands of Lord work under the windows OS, and Lands of Lore is more than point and click, that is a 2D shooter game as Shadow caster, They require massive screen changes, clicking mouse buttons and pressing hotkeys to play.

When I saw when scummvm could make Lands of lore work under windows, I thought scummvm might be able to do the same for other similar games.
Hm, with all respect, you can't be serious. A shooter game? One of the best RPG Games in history degrated to the "Shooter", yach. :shock:
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Maybe he said that because ShadowCaster uses an enhanced Wolf3D engine... But I agree: it's not a shooter :)
Pseudo_Intellectual

Re: Is it possible to scummvm the strategy game like dune2?

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

UFO wrote:Is it possible to scummvm these strategy DOS games
Strangely, we take at least a few steps (but only a few) toward supporting Moonbase Commander, a strategy game somewhat akin to Dune 2, which runs on an extension of the SCUMM variant that Humongous Entertainment ran with. But it probably will never be fully supported.
balpat

Post by balpat »

UFO wrote:Because they are too slow to play under DOS-BOX.
By the way, the games you mention run perfectly in DOSBox. Maybe you just haven't set enough cycles?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

balpat wrote:
UFO wrote:Because they are too slow to play under DOS-BOX.
By the way, the games you mention run perfectly in DOSBox. Maybe you just haven't set enough cycles?
Or the machine is too slow? :wink:
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

all protected mode games automatically switch to max cycles, so people got used to it and don't know about manual adjustment needed for non protected mode games.
UFO

Post by UFO »

Maybe it was 9 to 11 years ago(I am not totally sure), when I found these DOS emulators, scummvm and dosbox, I had a Pen II 450Hz. Any games under that dosbox were impossible to play because they were too slow while several scummvm supported games were nicely playable. After that, I never looked back using the dosbox, I just thought that was the way with the dosbox. I think it was the civilization that gave me the bad impression especially. It was taking 20 seconds or 30 sec for the dosbox to render 1 frame.

I have pen 4, 3Ghz now. After this thread, i checked the dosbox again. Dosbox was usable for the most of the games that i never thought they'd work. Dune2 was playable, civilization was still not playable in my neuro-sense, I just need a faster pc someday... that is not a big deal...
DOSBox-0.74 changed the commands that took me 1 or 2 hours to find out, old and new commands were not totally compatible. I think i could make do with the dosbox now.

scummvm is still much much faster, and it works for all CPU's.
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

Even 1THz won't help you if you don't bother reading manual...
UFO

Post by UFO »

I read it all, but understanding all is a different story... otherwise, I never would have found out doxbox commands on my own, DOSBOX.EXE Y:\ZZZ1\CIV\CIV.EXE -c "mount c Y:\ZZZ1\CIV" -fullscreen -exit to make a batch file... and I probably tried the doxbox's turbo mode too back then, but it didnt do anything. how much of reading or how many tries and how technical does one want me to do? I dont think i had read 1 Ghz dosbox requirement back then, because there was no 1Ghz... must have added recently.