Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans (GOG Game Request)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red Paladin

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans (GOG Game Request)

Post by Red Paladin »

Hi I hope it's ok to post this here, I just started a game request on GOG.com, for Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans as you may know the game was cancelled in the final stages of development, it was widely believed that this was due to marketing concerns, although the Blizzard executives stated otherwise.

Recently I watched some of a play-through of the beta version of the game on You-Tube, and I realized what a fantastic game they were making, one that deserves to played, and find a place of honor on every true enthusiasts shelf (Taking into account that everyone has their own tastes).

So anyway I wanted to start a petition to show a clear demand for the game, and so thought GOG was a good way of doing this, I hope that given enough support Blizzard may rethink their position and release it, so if like me you want this game to see the light of day, please sign in to GOG and vote via the link below...

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/games/wa ... _the_clans

also feel free to re-post this link elsewhere, if you'd like to spread the word. :)

For more information about the game, here are some links...
Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_A ... _the_Clans

Beta play-through video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ6tg1Id6-c
Last edited by Red Paladin on Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
maximus

Post by maximus »

I was going to try something like this a while back, but I only got as far as contacting Blizzard. Their support team probably wasn't the right place to turn, but it was a start :P

Code: Select all

To: web.support@blizzard.com
Sent: 12/19/2008 11:58:55 AM
Subject: [en]Warcraft -- Other

Request ------------------------------------
 Product:  Warcraft
 Category:  Other --

Description --------------------------------

This isn't really a support question, and I have no idea how to route this properly, but the question I want to ask is as follows:

Over the years, I'm sure there have been numerous attempts by fans to get Blizzard to revive the Warcraft Adventures project. The statement made when it was cancelled was that it didn't meet the quality requirements that Blizzard was trying to keep for it's users; and over the years, those decisions have resulted in excellent titles.

Regarding Warcraft Adventures though, it's been 10 years since this project was cancelled. I don't have any inside information into the level of completion the project was at, but if it was 'near' completion, couldn't this be released to the open-source community to be added to a project such as ScummVM? The benefit here would be positive PR for Blizzard, as well as renewed interest in their catalog of games to a number of new users.

I don't represent the ScummVM team, but I'd be interested to know what you guys think. -Alex

From&#58; <petern.support@blizzard.com>
Subject&#58; Re&#58; &#91;en&#93;Warcraft -- Other
Date&#58; Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18&#58;49&#58;29 -0800

Greetings Alex,

Thank you for emailing the Blizzard technical support department in regards to your question.  I know the same question has been asked by others in the past and unfortunately there just is not information in regards to the game that I have available to give besides what is already available on the internet.  Unfortunately I have no way to request any further information about the game or items such as art resources or code from the game. 

The best place I can suggest to post such a request is on our suggestions forum at http&#58;//forums.battle.net/board.html?forumId=12016&sid=3000.  This is by employees that have more information, and more access to information than we do here in technical support, if there is a large enough interest in anything then those ideas are passed along to those that may be able to do more.  I cant guarantee anything unfortunately but this is the best location I can suggest to try for such a request.

Regards,
Peter N.
Technical support
Blizzard Entertainment

http&#58;//www.blizzard.com/support
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

Thanks Maximus for posting that, it's very much appreciated I did consider trying to contact Blizzard directly myself, and it's interesting to read a response to the questions posed.

As I see it, we require two things if we're to have a chance to make this happen.

1)Support, we need to show that, there is a potential market/fanbase for this game, and that there is enough interest to validate them reconsidering their position, this will hopefully give us some clout in any discussions we potentially have with them, and hopefully by doing this through GOG, GOG may contact them as well.

2)We need as direct a line of contact as possible, in a large company, it is often hard get to talk with the bosses, however if we are to appeal to them, then this may be a vital step forward.

However I am hopeful at present... :)
maximus

Post by maximus »

Even though Blizzard Support recommended it, I never actually bothered to post in the suggestions forum. I guess it couldn't hurt ... :)
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

Definitely worth trying, :) at the very least it should raise some interest...

I'm going to try and post some links around this evening, I was thinking of trying Youtube, Facebook and maybe a couple of forums, you know places where there is a lot of foot-traffic and possible interest.

Is there anywhere else, you think we should try?
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

Okay after a busy 10 days, I finally got some time to work on this petition, I've just messaged several youtuber's who have video's of and/or about this game, and asked them to post a link to the petition in their Warcraft Adventurers video descriptions, fingers crossed that I get a response...

Also, Thank you to everyone, who's voted for this game, or taken the time to read this thread. :)