Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Franklint

Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest?

Post by Franklint »

Hi everyone,

I recently got into ScummVM, and used it to revisit some of my childhood classics! (Freddi Fish, Putt-Putt, Spy Fox, etc.) What a great idea it is.

I'm just wondering whether there's any chance of supporting a hidden gem of the point-and-click genre; Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest. Intended for a more mature audience, this was an epic adventure that spanned three CDs. I never got up to the second one when I played it about a decade ago, and it would be great to give it another crack!

Here's a link to its page on MobyGames: http://www.mobygames.com/game/nile-an-a ... tian-quest

And the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Nile-Ancient-Egyp ... 067156885X

Thanks for any help or input, and keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Franklint
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest?

Post by tsoliman »

Franklint wrote:Intended for a more mature audience
The mobygames.com box shot says "Ages 12 and up".

Kidding aside, thanks for this. :)
Franklint

Re: Nile: An Ancient Egyptian Quest?

Post by Franklint »

tsoliman wrote:
Franklint wrote:Intended for a more mature audience
The mobygames.com box shot says "Ages 12 and up".
Haha, I meant relative to the other games I listed, i.e. 3-10 years old. :)
tsoliman wrote:Kidding aside, thanks for this. :)
You're welcome, and thanks for your response. I just realised it's not 2D, so it would probably be a huge amount of work to get it working. Hopefully someone's up for the challenge!

Cheers,
Franklint
nilequest

Game is not 3d, its 2d DirectX5

Post by nilequest »

Greetings...!
Very excited to see this game still has a life of its own.
Turns out.. I wrote all the software for it.
Somewhere on some backup CD I have all the source code!
The game is all 2d using a custom flash-like engine with DirectX 5. The "3d" is all pre-rendered into video which is dynamically played back forward/backwards/zoomed to give the appearance of high quality 3d (which wasnt possible at the time). The codec used was the intel iv5 for the 3d navigation stuff and the more apple-centric one (forgetting?) for the story videos.
I have always wondered if it would run in compatibility mode on later windows, or if I would need to install win98 on a machine!
There are a bunch of easter eggs with hidden mini-games, such as "ebn" which has many active keys, try them out... a number of others are in there as well, I think "giant" "zap" and one with dozens of animated dancing clowns.
I'll make an effort to see if I can find a copy, but I think I only have an empty box without CD!
Anybody have a copy out there that I can get ISOs?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Game is not 3d, its 2d DirectX5

Post by DrMcCoy »

nilequest wrote:Anybody have a copy out there that I can get ISOs?
Yeah, no, we can't do that. Copyright. You should know that.
nilequest

Alright, I guess that was a stupid question

Post by nilequest »

I'll poke around at home.
I think DX5 and iv5 are the problem points for today's machines, particularly DX5. Are there any other DX5 games you have working?

I can bet the only way to get it to compile will be putting my old copy of ms visual C++ 4 on a win95/8 machine. Wonder how win98 will deal with a hex-core AMD?!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Alright, I guess that was a stupid question

Post by dreammaster »

nilequest wrote:I can bet the only way to get it to compile will be putting my old copy of ms visual C++ 4 on a win95/8 machine. Wonder how win98 will deal with a hex-core AMD?!
VirtualBox, Microsoft Virtual PC, or any other virtualisation software is your friend for running old operating systems on new machines. I myself have an installation of Windows 98 set up in VirtualBox expressly to play some of the other games that won't work in more recent Windows versions.