Is Discworld Noir likely to be supported?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Big Bottom

Is Discworld Noir likely to be supported?

Post by Big Bottom »

Hi guys!

Is this fine game being worked on at all? I couldn't see a topic about it.

Cheers

BB
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well it uses 3D models so would have to be part of Residual not ScummVM. There is the start of a noir engine here:
http://tinselnoir.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... inselnoir/
But it hasn't been updated for 2 years.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Discworld Noir is the game I want to see supported the most in Residual, after Grim Fandango of course! :P
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Seconded. Closely followed by Blade Runner and The longest Journey.
Mim

Post by Mim »

Number one on my wishlist too. An excellent game but sadly it's a big problem to get it running on modern computers. :(
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Mim wrote:Number one on my wishlist too. An excellent game but sadly it's a big problem to get it running on modern computers. :(
Not only modern computers, even on Windows 98 it crashed quite often. It is a bug ridden game, I think it was rushed out as the company was running out of money although I could be wrong.
Big Bottom

Post by Big Bottom »

ezekiel000 wrote:Well it uses 3D models so would have to be part of Residual not ScummVM. There is the start of a noir engine here:
But it hasn't been updated for 2 years.
I thought the visuals in Discworld Noir were pre-rendered...they certainly don't look like they are realtime 3D models.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Big Bottom wrote:I thought the visuals in Discworld Noir were pre-rendered...they certainly don't look like they are realtime 3D models.
From what I can see, they're mostly prerendered.
The default Lewton walking/standing animation is realtime, though. Everything else is prerendered, even most (all?) of the other Lewton animations.

At least that's my deduction from how it looks like: The Lewton walking animation is smooth (and looks realtime 3D), while every other animation is "choppy" at maybe 12 FPS or thatabout.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Mim wrote:Number one on my wishlist too. An excellent game but sadly it's a big problem to get it running on modern computers. :(
There was actually one forum member, whose name escapes me right now, who started a tinsel-noir project on Sourceforge to reimplement the game. Sadly, he didn't get very far before seeming to lose interest - there's been no updates for about 2 years. :(
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

dreammaster wrote:There was actually one forum member, whose name escapes me right now, who started a tinsel-noir project on Sourceforge to reimplement the game.
Are you talking about a second project or are you having a blind day today? Because:
ezekiel000 wrote:There is the start of a noir engine here:
dreammaster wrote:there's been no updates for about 2 years. :(
The main reason, from what I remember anyway, why Kerbox stopped working on it, was lack of time.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

DrMcCoy wrote:
dreammaster wrote:There was actually one forum member, whose name escapes me right now, who started a tinsel-noir project on Sourceforge to reimplement the game.
Are you talking about a second project or are you having a blind day today?
Lets put it down as a blind day today. :). I missed that reply.