Humongous Entertainment Macintosh Floppy Games

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Retrodude

Humongous Entertainment Macintosh Floppy Games

Post by Retrodude »

I noticed that there is no information on the data files page for what is required from the floppy disc versions of the older Humongous games. Are these games not supported?
clone2727
Retired

Re: Humongous Entertainment Macintosh Floppy Games

Post by clone2727 »

Retrodude wrote:I noticed that there is no information on the data files page for what is required from the floppy disc versions of the older Humongous games. Are these games not supported?
Er... I've never heard of any floppy versions of Humongous games. I'm quite certain they were only ever released on CD, but feel free to prove me wrong.
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

Sorry, but you're wrong. I believe that these are from the very first releases in the 1992-93 era. I got these from Amazon.com, and it still had what I'm assuming is its original shrink-wrap on it. I also have the coinciding merchandise packed in with the game, such as Junior Adventurer's Handbook, mail-in slip for their newsletter, and a promotional insert detailing their other products. Also, on the side of the box it says that it was released in both High Density Disk and CD-ROM editions.
Anyways, I think I might have a gem on my hands. Speaking to clone, if you need any further information, we can discuss this through PMs if needed.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Retrodude wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong.
Wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last :wink:
Retrodude wrote:I believe that these are from the very first releases in the 1992-93 era. I got these from Amazon.com, and it still had what I'm assuming is its original shrink-wrap on it. I also have the coinciding merchandise packed in with the game, such as Junior Adventurer's Handbook, mail-in slip for their newsletter, and a promotional insert detailing their other products. Also, on the side of the box it says that it was released in both High Density Disk and CD-ROM editions.
Anyways, I think I might have a gem on my hands. Speaking to clone, if you need any further information, we can discuss this through PMs if needed.
Yes, this would be a rarity, I think. Do you have the capability of dumping the disks? What files are on there? Is the game detected?
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

clone2727 wrote:
Retrodude wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong.
Wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last :wink:
Retrodude wrote:I believe that these are from the very first releases in the 1992-93 era. I got these from Amazon.com, and it still had what I'm assuming is its original shrink-wrap on it. I also have the coinciding merchandise packed in with the game, such as Junior Adventurer's Handbook, mail-in slip for their newsletter, and a promotional insert detailing their other products. Also, on the side of the box it says that it was released in both High Density Disk and CD-ROM editions.
Yes, this would be a rarity, I think. Do you have the capability of dumping the disks? What files are on there? Is the game detected?
I haven't yet examined the files. To be honest I'm not sure if my system will detect the disks since I'm running windows XP, a far cry from Macintosh for sure, but I'll definitely give a go at it. I'll update this post when I get more information.
Update: After examining the floppies with a free trial of TransMac, the disks all contain a single folder named "Fatty Bear Disk #" with the # representing the disk number (1-6) and each folder contains a single file called "Fatty Bear.sea", and furthermore, every disk number higher than one adds an extra ".#" to the end, again with # representing the disk number. I'll attempt an extraction and see if ScummVM detects the games.
Update 2: I'll give the software below a try, it will probably work better than TransMac anyways.
Last edited by Retrodude on Wed May 18, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Retrodude wrote:I haven't yet examined the files. To be honest I'm not sure if my system will detect the disks since I'm running windows XP, a far cry from Macintosh for sure, but I'll definitely give a go at it. I'll update this post when I get more information.
You need to use HFVExplorer. See here.
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

I'm extracting the files as I type this. The HPVExplorer program is working great for being semi-outdated. Just as a small note, you might want to update the link to the download on the wiki since the links to the download on that page are broken. I was able to get it through a quick google search, though, so there are still places with the program.
Also, I'm speculating as to the interesting (to me) naming of the datafiles. Could the numbered file extensions be the equivalent to the .he# extensions used in later cd-rom games?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Retrodude wrote:... and each folder contains a single file called "Fatty Bear.sea", and furthermore, every disk number higher than one adds an extra ".#" to the end, again with # representing the disk number. I'll attempt an extraction and see if ScummVM detects the games.
They are MacOS 9 self extracting archives (thus the sea extension). Stuffit used to be able to create those, so maybe Stuffit Expander can extract them (it is free and I think there is a Windows version nowadays).
I guess the # extensions for all the files except the first one is because it is a segmented archive (you start to extract it from the first disk and then it asks each other disks in turn to complete the extraction).
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

criezy wrote:
Retrodude wrote:... and each folder contains a single file called "Fatty Bear.sea", and furthermore, every disk number higher than one adds an extra ".#" to the end, again with # representing the disk number. I'll attempt an extraction and see if ScummVM detects the games.
They are MacOS 9 self extracting archives (thus the sea extension). Stuffit used to be able to create those, so maybe Stuffit Expander can extract them (it is free and I think there is a Windows version nowadays).
I guess the # extensions for all the files except the first one is because it is a segmented archive (you start to extract it from the first disk and then it asks each other disks in turn to complete the extraction).
Thanks for the explanation. I doubt that the games were meant for MacOS 9, but I see what's going on here.
I've extracted the files from each game and I just attempted to add the games from ScummVM. I got the message I was expecting, "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!" What should be my next move?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I used MacOS 9 as meaning older than MacOS X. Actually I used to create sea files on MacOS 7 with CompactPro in the early 90'. :wink:

As I wrote you can try to use Stuffit Expander for Windows and see if it can extract the archive (place all the files in the same folder and try to extract the first one). There may be other utilities out there that are capable of extracting these archives. If it doesn't work, a possibility would be to use an old mac emulator (e.g. SheepShaver). Apple made MacOS 7.5 available as a free download and there may still be a link somewhere on their web site. Since they are self extracting archive, you would then just have to execute the sea file.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Retrodude wrote:I've extracted the files from each game and I just attempted to add the games from ScummVM. I got the message I was expecting, "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!" What should be my next move?
Have a list of files? Any messages on the console?
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

criezy wrote:I used MacOS 9 as meaning older than MacOS X. Actually I used to create sea files on MacOS 7 with CompactPro in the early 90'. :wink:

As I wrote you can try to use Stuffit Expander for Windows and see if it can extract the archive (place all the files in the same folder and try to extract the first one). There may be other utilities out there that are capable of extracting these archives. If it doesn't work, a possibility would be to use an old mac emulator (e.g. SheepShaver). Apple made MacOS 7.5 available as a free download and there may still be a link somewhere on their web site. Since they are self extracting archive, you would then just have to execute the sea file.
Ah, I see now. I'm not a regular Mac user so I'm not as knowledgeable about the language of Mac computers as others might be. For the record, I didn't know I was getting the Mac floppy version of the game in the first place. In fact the page I got it from said it was the CD-ROM version, but since the box was unopened the guy who sold it to me had no way of knowing it was the floppy version. So, just to clarify, does that mean that there is likely a set of files within the .sea files on the disks?
Edit: The files seen on the disk using HFVExplorer is a few posts above. Also, nothing is displayed on the console.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Retrodude wrote:So, just to clarify, does that mean that there is likely a set of files within the .sea files on the disks?
Yes, basically sea files are like zip or rar files except that they are using a different compression algorithm and that they don't need a program to decompress them (when you are on an old mac that is) since the files include the program to decompress it (thus the self-extracting bit I mentionned).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Retrodude wrote:Ah, I see now. I'm not a regular Mac user so I'm not as knowledgeable about the language of Mac computers as others might be. For the record, I didn't know I was getting the Mac floppy version of the game in the first place. In fact the page I got it from said it was the CD-ROM version, but since the box was unopened the guy who sold it to me had no way of knowing it was the floppy version. So, just to clarify, does that mean that there is likely a set of files within the .sea files on the disks?
Edit: The files seen on the disk using HFVExplorer is a few posts above. Also, nothing is displayed on the console.
Sorry, missed the list. Yes, the files you need are probably in the .sea files.
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

I downloaded Stuffit Expander and tried opening the files to no avail. One odd thing I noticed is that the file from the first disk is recognized as a .bin file and the default program to open it is VLC Player of all things. I'm beginning to think that the files are too old to be extracted with the newer version of the program, but if there's a solution or an alternate program that can open the files, that might make things a bit easier.