IDA database files for existing game ports

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

sirlemonhead wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:Alien vs Predator is not an adventure game!

Just kidding - I couldn't resist a little tease sirlemonhead

For most / the rest of you don't even try understanding this.
I need a break from that stuff for a bit :)
Good luck with whatever you're working on.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

I have a small suggestion (not a very good one though). Since your doing a simple 2d game (no need for 3d acceleration) have you tried to use the your debugger + the virtualbox snapshot ability to "roll back" the debugger? Is this already possible?
androsynth7

Post by androsynth7 »

sirlemonhead, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.

IDA allows you to specify a function prototype manually, but in order to do that you have to look inside the function and figure out exactly how many arguments it expects (which is, unfortunately, not always easy).

I've switched to The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo. It's a 32-bit protected mode Watcom C program like CCS, but unlike CCS, it follows cdecl calling convention, which is a real blessing as it makes code much easier to explore. Not only that, it uses (E)BP-based stack frame, which also helps. Since, as I already mentioned, my primary goal is to learn, I'm not particularly picky about my choice of specimen. :D
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

Be sure to share your work when you're finished I guess! :P
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

Serious Callers Only wrote:I have a small suggestion (not a very good one though). Since your doing a simple 2d game (no need for 3d acceleration) have you tried to use the your debugger + the virtualbox snapshot ability to "roll back" the debugger? Is this already possible?
I don't think I can debug this at all using anything other than DosBox, as far as I know, as it's a 16 bit application.

Not really sure what you mean by rolling back
maximus

Post by maximus »

sirlemonhead wrote:
Serious Callers Only wrote:I have a small suggestion (not a very good one though). Since your doing a simple 2d game (no need for 3d acceleration) have you tried to use the your debugger + the virtualbox snapshot ability to "roll back" the debugger? Is this already possible?
I don't think I can debug this at all using anything other than DosBox, as far as I know, as it's a 16 bit application.

Not really sure what you mean by rolling back
DOSBox + HeavyDebug may just fit the bill if you want to interactively disassemble the game (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3944). I usually keep IDA open as well and add comments as I trace the program flow :)
androsynth7

Post by androsynth7 »

sirlemonhead wrote:Be sure to share your work when you're finished I guess! :P
Sure, if it leads anywhere. :D And best of luck to you too!

P.S. As for debugging 16-bit applications, I suggest you try Insight debugger. It has a user-friendly interface and it works in DOSBox.
Qbix

Post by Qbix »

there is an IDA DOSBox plugin as well.