Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

enderandrew

Re: Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

Post by enderandrew »

Holy necropost, Batman!

I see people have been requesting the Dynamix/DGDS games in this thread for a good 12 years. I'm not sure what a +1 from me would amount to.

I know DGDS engine support has started a few times, but never finished. It looks like the Dynamix games have been some of the most requested for years. I'm not sure what technical hurdles made that particular engine more difficult to implement compared to others.

While I think it is interesting to see support for Xeen games, Ultima games, Infocom games, etc. ScummVM has been primarily used to play 2D point-and-click adventure games.

I'm hoping some of the unfinished engines like DGDS, M4, MADS, Mohawk, etc. eventually find an enthusiastic champion. They might make for good Google Summer of Code projects for 2020.
audible

Post by audible »

Purple Moon series of games like Rockett & Secret Paths... please, please, please!
IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones »

Clock Tower (1995) also known as Clock Tower: The First Fear
(Platforms: Windows PC version, Playstation 1, SNES, Wii Virtual Console)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmjM8kN8xA

The game executable for Windows is only 150 KB in size. It was made for Windows 95. The game uses Windows GDI (gdi32.dll) as graphics API. All game assets are in standard formats that can be opened easily in windows explorer. Textures/sprites are in BMP format. Sounds are in WAV and MIDI formats. Cutscenes are AVI videos. These standard formats should make the game relatively easy to reverse engineer.

The game was only released in Japanese language but multiple fan made English translation patches are available as you can see from the Youtube video. I am sure more accurate translations will be possible if this game gets ported to SCUMMVM. Due to limitations caused by EXE hex editing and game font size, fan translations had sentence length constraints.

It is a classic horror adventure game. I hope it gets supported by SCUMMVM one day.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

Discworld 2 - Playstation
this should help to let this one runnable also on medium-low backends
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago and all the other similar vintage games in the series.

- Albion would be nice to see.

- Countdown is a classic adventure

Too many to list really. We can only hope more programmers are interested enough to contribute their time.
PM

Post by PM »

Stupid Invaders
StumpsForLimbs

Post by StumpsForLimbs »

I'd love to see The Dark Half and Beverly Hillbillies. Dark Half runs like crap on DosBox.
ziu

Post by ziu »

enderandrew wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:12 pm Holy necropost, Batman!

I see people have been requesting the Dynamix/DGDS games in this thread for a good 12 years. I'm not sure what a +1 from me would amount to.

I know DGDS engine support has started a few times, but never finished. It looks like the Dynamix games have been some of the most requested for years. I'm not sure what technical hurdles made that particular engine more difficult to implement compared to others.
As far as I know no one has ever disassembled the original game engine. The .SDS files it uses for example are totally undocumented and none of the DGDS engine attempts decode those files properly. .SDS files should have the in game dialogue between characters, object descriptions, and may have more inside. Other game files are also totally undocumented. As far as I know .ADS files might have game logic in them, but only the opcodes for cinematic sequence playback in those are known, .GDS files which seem to be main entry point and might have global game constants or initial game setup also totally undocumented. The only thing which is more or less implemented in the DGDS game engines is extracting the data files and playing the cinematic game sequences.

There is a Space Quest V MSDOS demo on archive.org which uses DGDS that even includes the debug symbols in the executable. The game engine was coded in Borland C++.
https://archive.org/details/SpaceQuestV ... tationDemo

I basically cobbled together all the existing DGDS code and made a sound engine to get the IBM PC music to work. I also figured out the Mac OS ports don't compress the images. That's my contribution. All I did was by reverse engineering the data files themselves and looking at them with a hexdump viewer. I am no good at disassembly.

No one has reverse engineered a decompressor for images in the MSDOS port thus far. While we can use the MacOS port images which are identical in every way it would also be a nice thing to have since the DGDS games you can buy from GOG.com are MSDOS ports. It seems to be some sort of block/tile based compression. I know that because I have fed corrupted images to the MSDOS game engine and it displayed the color of the top left pixel in each block with the rest of each block black.
gu3

Post by gu3 »

ezekiel000 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm The Ultimate Haunted House, Private eye, Robot City from Brooklyn Multimedia.
It took more than 10 years, but Private Eye is finally supported. I believe The Ultimate Haunted House and Robot City are director games, so they could be supported eventually.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Definitelly theses :

---Spycraft
---Innocent until Caught I-II
---Dark Seed I-II

Theses would be my trinity grails for the ScummVm
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

gu3 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:48 am
ezekiel000 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm The Ultimate Haunted House, Private eye, Robot City from Brooklyn Multimedia.
It took more than 10 years, but Private Eye is finally supported. I believe The Ultimate Haunted House and Robot City are director games, so they could be supported eventually.
WOOO !!!
Private eyes is FINALLY supported ??? :shock:
Good Good Nice News !!!
Awesome!
galaxygod

Post by galaxygod »

i saw a couple posts from a few years ago requesting this game but i dont think anything came of it, but it would be really cool to have goosebumps escape from horrorland supported on scummVM.
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Mystery Of The Druids

As of now there is no way to play the original 2001 version on Windows versions released after Windows XP. The version you can buy on Steam and GOG is the "Director's Cut" released in 2004 but it has a lot of differences, most notably a completely different soundtrack (which I don't like at all).
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

Pyramid: Challenge of the Pharaoh’s Dream

My World History teacher in middle school showed me and my classmates this game. She got a PC just for this game. It was that good. I never got a chance to play it because everyone loved it. https://www.mobygames.com/game/pyramid- ... creenshots

Asterix: Caesar’s Challenge

I played this game in German at my uncle’s house in Germany, and it was so much fun. I’d love to play it again. I realize that there are 2 games with the same title. One is a platformer, and the other one is a board game with mini games and trivia questions. The one I played was a board game. https://www.mobygames.com/game/astrix-c ... creenshots
Mim

Post by Mim »

Normality and Realms of the Haunting