Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Re: Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

Post by GusCE6 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Gingertip's "Foxtail."

Hopefully once it works on ScummVM then it will work on this old laptop.

bert3

Post by bert3 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 am

Gingertip's "Foxtail." seems to be a recent Windows/Linux/Mac Game

if that is the case...
-there is no need for a scumm backend - its already running native
-it won't run any faster because its already native speed on all major platforms

scumm does bring old games that not supported on the major platforms to new life
scumm does not make recent games with decent hardware demands faster on slower systems

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Well, right off the bat:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14566

I was directed here by Wintermute, so they know about the effort.

I have gotten the game to run, thanks to Gingertips sending an alternative file. The only problem, minor as it is, is that it cannot run without SwiftShader 2.1 which does slow things down- this is noticeable at the beginning with Leah and the train.

Since the game does run on that old XP laptop now it is likely that the specs given are accurate. ScummVM WOULD make the game run faster because at least in theory the game would run without directly needing SwiftShader 2.1.

I recently purchased "Loom" from Steam for the ASUS and tried it on that Sony (I like tinkering with old hardware to see how far it can go). Obviously it failed to work because the Steam app is required, but when run through ScummVM it not only ran but ran very nearly as fast as on any modern device. It's a safe bet that had the game been able to run without the Steam app but did require SwiftShader 2.1 then it would have been slower.

By the by, "Loom" is the first time ScummVM was able to get a game running that did not run before- games that I have, that is! Before that the one thing it accomplished was getting "The Legend of Kyrandia" running in fullscreen- which was actually quite nice. Note that I did purchase the game and without ScummVM it would have been impossible to have run it on the Sony anyway- short of a pirated version.

"Loom" is a short game but playing it on that antique laptop was quite satisfying. And "Kyrandia" in fullscreen is also a treat (before it could only be run with the quite-nifty DOSBox). Thank you, folks behind this app!

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am

DOSBox is perfectly capable of running fullscreen.

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:41 pm

So it is!

But it's safer to use ScummVM on that old laptop for fullscreen.

You should know a few things about it for this to make sense to you since that Sony is quirky- it came out in 2001. If you run those DirectX tests on it for 7-9 everything checks out, but if you actually try to RUN a game or even ScummVM that requires these things it often just crashes. My guess was that it's because it came out in 2001.

"Deepica," "The Golden Path of Plumeboom," "Plumeboom: The First Chapter," "Fiber Twig Midnight Puzzle," "Inherit the Earth (Steam version)," "Ancient Wonderland," "Running Sheep Tiny Worlds," "Running Sheep (Aliens)," Sid Meier's Pirates! 2K," "Foxtail," and of course the ScummVM app itself...all require either SwiftShader 2.1 or in a few cases 3-D Analyze to run.

You'd be 100% right if we were talking about, say, the 2012 ASUS. But with that quirky old Sony, normal rules do not always apply.