Working on Siemens SX1

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

moles

Working on Siemens SX1

Post by moles »

ScummVM 0.8.0 S60v1 version works perfectly on the Siemens SX1. I had to extract the files manually from the sis, but after that there where no problems.

Sfx, music and speech all seems to work (although my ears hurt a little from the volume). I have tested MI1, MI2 and Sam & Max, they all seem fast enough to be enjoyable.

For MI1 I have converted the CD tracks to ogg, which did not seem to work. I guess that's not ported and probably won't be. Can someone confirm or surprise me?

Great work!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ogg is not in the release build, as I opted for a MP3 version only to save memory. But MP3 should be ok though
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

For MI1 I have converted the CD tracks to ogg, which did not seem to work. I guess that's not ported and probably won't be. Can someone confirm or surprise me?
Because of a new mega-build script I wrote (all of) last night it might be possible that these combinations of builds with more features will become available.

The script allows you to specify a set of SDKs you have installed (for instance UIQ, S60v2 and S90) and then a set of #defines for the project build files (for instance USE_MAD, USE_VORBIS, USE_ZLIB and DISABLE_SAGA) and then it can Build, Package and Upload these to an FTP server! What you can expect in the future is a quite extensive list of .sis files of build combinations that may suit your specific situation.

Think of an installer file like scummvm-CVS051102-SymbianS60v1_scumm_ogg_mp3.sis for instance that contains only support for SCUMM+OGG+ZLIB and none of the other features and engines,

We will keep you folks posted!

cheers,
SumthinWicked
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

oh, and I gave 'green light' to SX1 on the Wiki site 8)
moles

Post by moles »

Awesome, using mp3 instead worked.
It might be worth mentioning in the wiki though that the SX1 has the same problem with installing (seems to check C for space) as some other devices.
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

moles wrote:Awesome, using mp3 instead worked.
It might be worth mentioning in the wiki though that the SX1 has the same problem with installing (seems to check C for space) as some other devices.
I added a ref to the FAQ on that row. A Vorbis version might be coming up soon, but Vorbis is inherently more CPU intensive, so for phones we usually recommend MP3 :)

heidiho,
SW
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Moles, It works great on my SX1 too :)

I have tried the floppy versions of Monkey Island 1 & 2, Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atalntis. They all work great!

Improved speed for mouse movement would be nice though.

I have now even played the mp3-compressed CD-version of Beneath a Steel Sky on my Sx1 and it also runs perfectly with sound, music and speech :)

With 7mb free memory (perhaps even less), I was able to play all those games.

Next, I will try Flight of the Amazon Queen :)
It seems like the SX1 is one of the very best S60 phones for ScummVM.
dope84

Post by dope84 »

can you tell me, how you did it?
I used the Total Commander with the Plugin for extracting sis-Files. I extracted the scummvm-0.9.0-s60-v1.sis and after that, I copied the whole extracted system dir on my memory card under D:\system\Apps\ScummVM. Now I can see an ScummVM Icon in my menu but when I try to start it closes at same time...
My game dirs are at the root-dir, for example D:\MI1 but I can't add a game, because the ScummVM close to early. I even tried to create the dir C:\documents\EScummVM\ but nothing happens.

Can somebody help me?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try to create c:\system\apps\scummvm instead.. paths has changed since earlier versions of the game
dope84

Post by dope84 »

ok, I will try it later, when I am at home, because I can't change any data in system under c:\. The direction isn't visible with the filemanager by Symbian.
Should I copy anything in the direction
c:\system\apps\scummvm ?

But also when I try the older version 0.8.0, I have the same problem. It starts and ends at the same time.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try a smaller one engine only version from http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds to see if you have to little memory available. Also check for any log files created in the c:\system\apps\scummvm folder. A default ini file should n't be needed.
dope84

Post by dope84 »

I can't imagine that the problem will be the memory. I 've got 2845 KB left at C:\ and 980 MB left at D:\.
The system at C:\ is a new one which yesterday was installed and nothing other programs than the standards are running at c:\.
Can you tell me which version from http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds can be interessting for me? I don't really understand what these versions are for. For example scummvm-060611-SymbianS60v1_test_cine.sis ?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The ALL version support all engines, whilst the scumm version only supports scumm, the queen version only supports flight of the amazon queen and this engine is only around 300-400 kb.

And when it comes to memory its the available internal memory which counts, not the space available on C: or D: So loading a smaller engine can really help, and you should even be able to install it without unsising it first.

You can check this with fexplorer for example.
dope84

Post by dope84 »

hi again.
I tried the engine of queen and scumm, both I could install directly by the phone but it doesn't work. Everytime the same problem, I can see the icon but nothing happens when I choose it.
Unfortunatly I can't install FExplorer, either. Here I get the message, that it was installed succesfully but I can't see an icon after that.
But another installations are running correctly... I don't know, what I can do...
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Seems like you have lots of other problems, not just ScummVM related. I have n't had any problems running FExplorer on any kind of S60 device I have tried it on (N-Gage, N70,6630,6680, 6630 etc). I would say.. reformat C: