Pre-0.13.0 builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

breakthru

Post by breakthru »

Anotherguest wrote:Haven't had the time to do that quite yet though.
A slim virtual keyboard would probably be perfect for the job but you've already compiled a version which works great, I can hardly ask for more :)
goetz

Post by goetz »

For the key mappings, you might want to try MagicKey, e.g. from my-symbian.com. It needs to be signed, but according to my-symbian.com this is possible using Open Signed Online.

For ScummVM I use the volume keys as mouse left and right click. Very convenient to play! ;)

- Goetz
breakthru

Post by breakthru »

goetz wrote:For the key mappings, you might want to try MagicKey, e.g. from my-symbian.com.
I'll try it as soon as I can, thanks for the heads up :)
bojzi

Post by bojzi »

MagicKey doesn't work on the 5800XM, at least not for me.

It installs OK but then reports that I'm out of memory... :|
The One Electronic

Post by The One Electronic »

Hello to everybody.
Just want Anotherguest know how much I appreciate his effort with the 0.13.0 version to make it working on the 5800 XM device.
I tried it out myself and here below a brief report of my test.

Simon the Sorcerer: doesn't work well as apart from moving the character here and there, no other input can be feed. I can't even invoke the menu and then I must forcibly press the red button to exit.

Sierra games (SPQ1,2 - LSL1): the setting can't be override. I did it with the music to shut it off without effect.

Lure of the Temptress: seems to work fine (I downloaded the free legal version from the software house website) but I can't really interact. I did not know this game but I wonder: is it the menu missing or something?

I also think that the virtual keyboard is quite big but I'm not so into this subject so I don't complain :)

Just one question: how do I know when the subversion linked on top of the thread is updated? Just by reading the thread or the snapshot are constantly uploaded?

You guys rock.
Zakpu

Post by Zakpu »

ok tested this out on my 5800, here are my expiriences:

Tried out most scumm engine 320x240 games like monkey 1, sam & max, indy4, Day of the tenticale, they all work flawllesly, no slow downs, no audio problems & no crashes, I also tried discworld 1, it also works fine.

I gave Broken Sword 1 & Curse of Monkey Island a try, they work ok, Broken Sword crashes when I talk to the waitress in the caffe after a few sentences, Curse of Monkey island has sound only in the cutscences, I've tried all the audio options to make it work but it just doesnt for me.

I made the VGA games playable by mapping the needed keys via virtual key.

Anyway, thanx for the great work on the port, so far this is amazing

EDIT:
One more thing I noticed is that the audio on my 5800 is a bit quiet, It's not unusable or anything like that, I just know that the 5800 stereo speakers can defintely bee much louder than this, so maybe if this is tweakable you could boost the sound a bit too

EDIT2:
The crashing in broken sword is unrelated to the waitress talk, it just crashed randomly 2 times coincidentaly at the same time in the game
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Right mousebutton is needed for interaction in LURE. You can try tapping the mouse button mode (*-, -*, --) to change which button is activated upon tap. Ideally you should have a dedicated button for this.

Also the SVN build is updated when I have the time to make such a build, which varies quite alot.
Thraktor

Post by Thraktor »

I'd just like to thank Anotherguest for all the effort he's put into this. It really is much appreciated, and the app works even better than I'd expected.

I tried Monkey Island 1 & 2, taken from the Monkey Island Bounty Pack UK CD release, and they both work fine, with touch input working perfectly and no problems with the virtual keyboard. My mp3 rips of the CD audio also run fine. I gave Beneath a Steel Sky a quick test as well and there don't seem to be any problems there.

I also tried out Curse of Monkey Island. The opening cinematic is actually perfectly watchable, even if it's a tiny bit choppy and the audio seems to be slightly out of sync. Of course, it's running in full screen, which looks great, but doesn't give me access to any keys to skip the credits (which are longer than I remember). Touch input also doesn't seem to work when it gets to the actual game (and without a keyboard the only way to exit is with the red button).
Anotherguest wrote:I really must work on a virtual keyboard for VGA games, I'm thinking about a solution where you have a small strip to the right or left of the screen for basic keys, and the ability to launch a larger virtual keyboard also. Have n't had the time to do that quite yet though.
This is actually what I came here to suggest. Actually, could I suggest that you could include this as an option for the 320x240 games as well? Mostly I only seem to need the mouse button mode key and the menu key, so it'd be nice to give the game 90% of the screen and have the rest of the keyboard only pop out when necessary.

I've also got another small suggestion. Could the virtual keyboard be set up with a QWERTY layout? It would mean squeezing the keys a little bit smaller, but it would be slightly easier to find the right one. This is quite a minor quibble, though, as typing is rarely necessary in SCUMM games anyway.

Thanks again for all the work you're putting into this.
The One Electronic

@ Anotherguest:
your suggestion for Lure worked just fine, by changing the "mouse" state I could perform the actions. Unfortunately there seem to be a problem of click "precision". I tried a lot to pull the torch in the first scene but can't. Out of many attempts I succeeded just two times to switch the focus on "PULL" but then when I tried to click again I lost the focus and the window shut.
From my extensive play to Maniac Mansion I've noticed another issue. When your character has several objects in the inventory, it's quite tricky to select the correct one and even trickier to browse through the inventory itself with the up/down arrows. This is because the text is so small and it's difficult to click the proper space with the pen.
Your suggestion to have a few keys on display and further keys in a pop-up keyboard on demand seems to me quite right.
Take care.
The One Electronic

keyboard issue with leisure suit larry 1

just another issue keyboard-related I've noticed.
I'm currently trying various games on the 5800XM to give a feed back on usability.
One major issue I have now is with larry 1. At a certain point you must use function key F3 and F6 to bet and play slot machine. It doesn't seem possible with the current keyboard.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I must do a more dynamic keyboard layout. ALso a list of special keys needed to complete a game would be nice, so those could be added as special map keys in keymappings. Then that game would be playable also on other S60v3 devices, which don't have a keyboard.
The One Electronic

I can give you my feedback as I play various games.
So far I have the following (all from Larry1)
-Function keys are needed to perform certain actions in the game
- Alt key is needed when you turn on the game to skip the age verification (alt+x)
- Movement keys (arrows) would be nice because sometimes it's difficult to move your character precisely enough to certain location with the pen (found this issue on Zak McKracken also).
Cheers and thanks for your praiseworthy work
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

On 5800 you should be able to use the virtual arrow keys to move around more precisely (but only in 'C' control mode).
The One Electronic

Just an update after further testing.
On Larry1 arrow keys work without ctrl.
On Zak they don't work no matter if you use ctrl or not.
On Lure of the Temptress they don't work (but I don't know if this is normal 'cause I never played on a computer)
On Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis they don't work so I assume they don't work in any scumm game.
triada

Post by triada »

When starting games Monkey island2 and Monley island3 on Nokia 5800 and E90 in 0.13.0build the following picture appears:

Console is ready
Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game
Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and varia
ERROR: (0:1:0х93A): script 130 not in room 108 at 8817

And then ScummVM hung. What to do? How it can be treated?