Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try using the built in virtual mouse cursor. ctrl+0+ctrl.. But just as a last resort
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi There,

Firstly I'd like to thank Anotherguest for the great work on bringing touch support for the 5800XM, it works brilliantly! I'm currently playing MI1 & 2 for over again on it, and am really taken with the clarity of the screen, and the accuracy of the touch screen when using the stylus.

I have noticed a rather strange bug with it though, after playing through Scummvm and exiting on my phone, both handwriting recognition, and the Mini Qwerty keyboard disappear from my phone! I have to physically turn off my phone and put it back on to bring back those options, since I really only like using the mini-qwerty. Other than that, I love this, and think it is sound! Please keep up the great work :)
Kether

Post by Kether »

Hi,

After seeing something similar in other application i had an idea that could help with the lack of keys in the 5800.
The idea is using the proximity sensor as a button/selector. So when you have your finger over it the stylus acts as right click and when not it acts as left click as always.
With this phone the optimal way of playing is landscape so the sensor is right in the best place to be used like this.

I also think that a sudden shake (in a wiimoteish fasion xD) could be used for some shortcut ("." for example. ending sentences with a shake sounds somehow appeling xD)
dboyler

Post by dboyler »

Hello,
I recently got a nokia 5800 and installed scumm and have it loaded on my phone fine but can't seem to locate any games!

I have copyed Sam and max and full throttle to my memory card but keep getting the error " Scummvm could not find any game in the specifid directory"

Where should I store my games so I can access them?
Can anyone help... please
sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

dboyler wrote:Hello,
I recently got a nokia 5800 and installed scumm and have it loaded on my phone fine but can't seem to locate any games!

I have copyed Sam and max and full throttle to my memory card but keep getting the error " Scummvm could not find any game in the specifid directory"

Where should I store my games so I can access them?
Can anyone help... please
open scummvm,go to options,select paths,and then set folder where is your games located
Garret

Post by Garret »

Now I see that when I keep my phone in landscape mode scummvm goes in the opposite way (portrait), and of course when i keep my phone on portrait mode it goes on landscape. So playing games becames nearly impossible :(

I tried reinstalling scummvm but it doesn't work :(

What can I do?
Garret

Post by Garret »

EDIT: I solved pressing CTL + 2 :D
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying the 5800XM and I have a question: I've read in some bug reports that some symbian phones have difficulties running games that are in higher resolutions (like CoMI), and that they tend to crash after a few minutes because of insufficient memory for the downscale or something. Is the 5800 one of those phones? I know the phone runs in 360×640 which will still require a downscale, but I need to know for sure, because quite frankly, it could be a deal breaker for me on this phone.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Memory should be fine on the 5800 and since the resoultion is 640x360 vga games looks ok, but upscaling might cause some slow downs depending on the game.
herje666

Post by herje666 »

Is there coming another version Scummvm for Symbian (5800)soon? 0.13.1 is not completely stable, with for eksample simon the sorcerer
Skygazer

Post by Skygazer »

phunimator wrote:Hi There,

Firstly I'd like to thank Anotherguest for the great work on bringing touch support for the 5800XM, it works brilliantly! I'm currently playing MI1 & 2 for over again on it, and am really taken with the clarity of the screen, and the accuracy of the touch screen when using the stylus.

I have noticed a rather strange bug with it though, after playing through Scummvm and exiting on my phone, both handwriting recognition, and the Mini Qwerty keyboard disappear from my phone! I have to physically turn off my phone and put it back on to bring back those options, since I really only like using the mini-qwerty. Other than that, I love this, and think it is sound! Please keep up the great work :)
Same here, you're not alone :)

EDIT: Ok, looks like I've found a temporary solution for those who're interested. It's probably written somewhere else around here but whatever: you have to close ScummVM NOT in landscape mode in order to keep the mini-qwerty and the writing mode functional. The problem is that in the normal mode my touchscreen goes mad and doesn't work but you can easily push the RED BUTTON (how dramatic!) and close ScummVM from the outside.

Also, for those who didn't know (like me) how to lock the screen in landscape mode while playing, you have to tap on the wireframe keyboard CTL then 2 then CTL. It will work! Probably someone said these things before and better than me, but I found them scattered around forums and single posts... Well, hope I've been useful!

Anotherguest, I'll never thank you enough for letting me be a damn pirate even with my mobile phone :D
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Getting this phone tommorrow. sho excited!
soulafein

Post by soulafein »

When could the new version be available on symbian ?? I've a huge problem with Scumm and Broken Sword (my favourite) :(
chichoeq

Post by chichoeq »

Skygazer wrote:
phunimator wrote:Ok, looks like I've found a temporary solution for those who're interested. It's probably written somewhere else around here but whatever: you have to close ScummVM NOT in landscape mode in order to keep the mini-qwerty and the writing mode functional. The problem is that in the normal mode my touchscreen goes mad and doesn't work but you can easily push the RED BUTTON (how dramatic!) and close ScummVM from the outside.

Also, for those who didn't know (like me) how to lock the screen in landscape mode while playing, you have to tap on the wireframe keyboard CTL then 2 then CTL. It will work! Probably someone said these things before and better than me, but I found them scattered around forums and single posts... Well, hope I've been useful!

Anotherguest, I'll never thank you enough for letting me be a damn pirate even with my mobile phone :D
Hi! how do you do that?! I can exit the aplication as you said, but the only thing I can do from the outside is entering again, not closing it... Do you use another program to do that?

cheers

EDIT_1: ok... I was too lazy to google it first :) I'm guessing you're using Handy Taskman or something like that? because as I said the built-in Task manager doesn't kill aplications, am I right?

EDIT_2: Confirmed! With Handy Taskman works like a charm! Just get out of ScummVM ON PORTRAIT MODE pushing the red button and then close it using a task manager.

Thank U very much Skygazer! I'm currently replaying 'Day of the Tentacle' and I've already installed 'Fate of Atlantis' 'The Secret of Monkey Island', 'Simon the Sorcerer' 'Flight of the Amazon Queen' XD ... They all seem to work well! GOOD OL'DAYS!

Now we're only missing a better implementation of the left/right click in order to enjoy more the more recent games.
kukerkuker7

Post by kukerkuker7 »

Is there any possibility to enlarge subtitle font used in BS2 on 5800? Or change it to other, more readable one (simple like SanSerif)?