Some question about audio games

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

calamar

Some question about audio games

Post by calamar »

Hi! :D

First of all, many thanks for the Symbian port developers. You made a great incredible work, guys. :wink:

I was trying ScummVM on my Nokia N73 and I found some problems on audio that I'm not able to solve.

I used ScummVM with the game "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" (Floppy/DOS/Spanish) and found some problems with audio.

The only way to hear audio game was to use Adlib music driver, and a output rate of 22 kHz. With other driver, was no sound, and with higher ouput rate sound stutters continuously. I don't know if I have to check or not the options on the MIDI tab. Should I?

Other problem is with volume. I put volume level to max in Music, SFX and Speech (249 value) and MIDI gain is in 9,76, but music and sound volume on my Nokia is sooooooo down. There's any other way to get an upper volume?

Many thanks!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Green key and up up
calamar

Post by calamar »

Ups! :oops: ... that's right!

Thanks a lot! :wink:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Some question about audio games

Post by eriktorbjorn »

calamar wrote:and MIDI gain is in 9,76
I think only the FluidSynth driver uses the MIDI gain setting, and that's probably irrelevant for SymbianOS.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Also a higher setting than 22khz on Symbian devices, don't make anything work better, usually the audio in the games are recorded in 11khz or 22 khz (or at least <=22khz) anyhow, and often in eightbit. So mixing in 44khz stereo makes little sense.

When it comes to CD audio, low bitrate mp3s also ends up in a target frequency of 22khz, and thats more than good enough for mobile devices I think, yes even on my PC. :-)