E71 and Scummvm problems*

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

E71noob

E71 and Scummvm problems*

Post by E71noob »

Hi, i tryed Full throttle with scummvm and it crashes sometimes, but its rare, even tho theres one point in game where it crashes always; its where i have to use the steak and theres dog. Then i played loom and its jams or crashes where is an egg on the ground (where music plays). Whats the problem with E71 and scummvm ? Sorry my english.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

What version of scummvm? What version of the game? Floppy, Cd, compressed or uncompressed audio, if compressed, in what form?
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Its the latest 0.12.
VGA-CD loom (not compressed) audio ogg compressed, now when i tryed to play music to egg,
it said Error: (9:47:0x127): rate effect can only handle rates (655).
But usually it just shuts off (crash).

E: now i got past that point... and it didnt even crash while playing that thing. I changed some options in sound.
Ack tryed again and crashed.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I think you should try audio encoded at low bitrates. You really don't need cdquality in your phone.
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:I think you should try audio encoded at low bitrates. You really don't need cdquality in your phone.
Thx, will try that.
EGA version doesnt seem to crash tho (yet maybe)...
Still id rather play best quality than poor quality..
Is it RAM problem if i play CD quality, cos i thought E71 has alot of RAM ?

One main reason i thought to cause crash is the program itself since i had program named mobitubia and it does same thing when i watch video, then i got emtube and no problems. Hard to say though, have to keep on testing and finding the problem.

E: i tryed 45kbps, crash as usual.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You should encode so target rate is qual to 22khz. I think thats like 16-22 kbps.
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:You should encode so target rate is qual to 22khz. I think thats like 16-22 kbps.
16kbps seems to work (not sure how long tho).
Hopefully that was the problem.

I would like to know your opinion on E71 ram, could that be an issue in any ways? Since i played Full throttle, everything seemed to be alright till those random crashes like in loom. Have to try Full throttle with 16kbps sounds too sometimes.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

E71 should have enough memory, but stability depends on so many different factors I guess, and I'm not saying the Symbian version of ScummVM is 100% bugfree either.

For the audiorate of loom, its working with the internal mixer, which is running at 22khz anyhow, so the downmixing might be causing problems, also the streaming from the memorycard might be causing issues. Lowerbitrates, means less reads from the memorycard.
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:E71 should have enough memory, but stability depends on so many different factors I guess, and I'm not saying the Symbian version of ScummVM is 100% bugfree either.

For the audiorate of loom, its working with the internal mixer, which is running at 22khz anyhow, so the downmixing might be causing problems, also the streaming from the memorycard might be causing issues. Lowerbitrates, means less reads from the memorycard.
Ok thx.
It seems to crash anyways now too, after i tryed to play longer, it crashes without reason even no sound at all. Is E71 officially tested and supported by scummvm program ? Or is it still too new phone perhaps. And have to add that it doesnt crash in certain places, it can crash everywhere.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hey! This is open free software, done on any sparetime we might have left. So I guess.. YOU are the tester. ;-) I don't even own an E71, so how could I test?

Now experience on the same devices between users, seem to vary, I guess its a mix of different usagage and experience that makes the difference how on well you perceive ScummVM to run.

I am running Sword2 on my 6120, works much better than I would even dream of. Still some other people complain about crashes. So can't tell about every scenario or phone, since I don't have one.
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:Hey! This is open free software, done on any sparetime we might have left. So I guess.. YOU are the tester. ;-) I don't even own an E71, so how could I test?

Now experience on the same devices between users, seem to vary, I guess its a mix of different usagage and experience that makes the difference how on well you perceive ScummVM to run.

I am running Sword2 on my 6120, works much better than I would even dream of. Still some other people complain about crashes. So can't tell about every scenario or phone, since I don't have one.
Hehe ok, ill gladly help with this testing and inform if i get it to work better, so when and if another E71 user comes and needs help too, this thread might help him/her then.

Im not sure about this, but when i had different nokia model and i ran out of memory it popups window with "out of memory" text.. i thought that if memory would be the case for crashes, it probably tells it lol. :D But i hope i get it to work somehow, ill update the progress if something works.

Probably next best thing todo is to try older versions of scummvm and check out how it works.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

On later Nokia models, Nokia removed all those popups, so instead your app will "terminate" without any trace of why or how. :-(
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:On later Nokia models, Nokia removed all those popups, so instead your app will "terminate" without any trace of why or how. :-(
Ok. :)

Btw. I did "hard reset" (*#7370#) on my phone, fresh install in phone memory of scummvm, i put loom folder in scummvm folder and in 45minutes no crashes in Loom, only bad thing is that i have to get other applications again, but im glad i didnt have many yet. We'll see if its permanent hehe. x)

EDIT: not. :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try loom without the audiofiles. I know it sounds silly, specially for the CD version, but to see if its the audiostreaming crashing or not.
E71noob

Post by E71noob »

Anotherguest wrote:Try loom without the audiofiles. I know it sounds silly, specially for the CD version, but to see if its the audiostreaming crashing or not.
It seems to crash whether theres sound or not. :/
I tryed 0.10 version too, no changes.. well, have to try something else as usual. :D

But in anyways, it would be fantastic if there was another E71 user that could test these games too, since if its my phone fault i going to go in store and say give me new phone. :roll:

Anyhow, i will continue testing, since i got games to finish. x)
E:
Anotherguest wrote:On later Nokia models, Nokia removed all those popups, so instead your app will "terminate" without any trace of why or how. :-(
After testing/stressing my phone it does say:
"Out of memory, try closing some applications". :D
Thats solves that problem isnt that the memory rans out (phew). :roll: