Sound Lag with Nokia 6220 Classic

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Aserf

Post by Aserf »

With the release of 0.12.0 things seem to have improved.

Now the sound works all the time and on random occassions it will also work without stuttering.

Nothing is running in the background and if I just keep on restarting ScummVM, eventually the sound will work perfectly
Demophobie

Post by Demophobie »

Hey!

Hm, doesnt work for me. Don't know how u make this work :(
Still stuttering - everytime i start a game.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Would be nice if you could record the stuttering using another phone or a PC, and postit somewhere. THere is a difference between stuttering and stuttering so it would be nice to hear what yours sound like.
Aserf

Post by Aserf »

Anotherguest wrote:Would be nice if you could record the stuttering using another phone or a PC, and postit somewhere. THere is a difference between stuttering and stuttering so it would be nice to hear what yours sound like.
I uploaded two videos here. You should be able to hear the difference in the two videos.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2c15 ... b9a8902bda
Daxo

Post by Daxo »

This is exactly what I get on my 6220c (the borked video). But restarting ScummVM doesn't help to fix the sound for me.
Aserf

Post by Aserf »

Daxo wrote:This is exactly what I get on my 6220c (the borked video). But restarting ScummVM doesn't help to fix the sound for me.
I must clarify what I said earlier. Restarting ScummVM will not magically fix things. It took me almost 10 minutes of constantly restarting ScummVM to get the video with the audio working properly. It could just as easily have been 20 minutes, an hour, or more. Sometimes it just works and I have no idea why.

You could try changing some of the audio settings. It seems to works semi regularly for me when I increase the output rate and subtitle speed.
Demophobie

Post by Demophobie »

I can confirm what u hear in the first video is exactly what my mobile phone is sounding like.
Hope someone can fix that - that would be sooooo great.
Daxo

Post by Daxo »

Aserf wrote:You could try changing some of the audio settings. It seems to works semi regularly for me when I increase the output rate and subtitle speed.
That hint really did it for me.
I changed music driver from default to Adlib and output rate to 48 kHz. In addition I checked Mixed Adlib/Midi mode in MIDI section. Those changes made the sound work temporary.
In most cases sound will screw up after switching the phone off and back on. Checking or unchecking a random option in option's MIDI section will fix it again (at least it does for me).

Edit: Just noticed that ScummVM sometimes acts weird when starting it (for the first time?) after switching on the phone. It seems to switch back to the phone's menue (menue's background visible), but will be ok again within a second. Everytime it happens, the sound workaround fails and I have to do the trick with the Midi section. Looks kind of a internal reset to me.
Last edited by Daxo on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demophobie

Post by Demophobie »

Hey - U are right! It works! :)

Whats the reason for this?
I did everything Aserf said + Subtitle speed on 0
Demophobie

Post by Demophobie »

But still not working perfekt. When i go out to check my messages for example and go back in - the sound is lagging again. Is it possible to force this settings on this phone?
Daxo

Post by Daxo »

Yupp, you're right. Leaving scummvm via softkey screws the sound again. Only way to make it work again is leaving scummvm and doing the trick on the next startup.

Something seems to happen, while softkeying out of scummvm.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Depends on the system sounds I think, disable keytones at least. I have seen ringtones distubring the plackback on somephones.
stylin

Post by stylin »

ive solved the audio stutter issue with the 6220 classic

guide can be found at the following thread:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6549

reply to the thread if it works to let us know.