broken sword 1- works on pc...not on nokia 6110

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

baltax

broken sword 1- works on pc...not on nokia 6110

Post by baltax »

I have the scummvm 0.7.0 pc version, and when I tried to play on my pc broken sword it runs great, but when i try to run it on my nokia 6110 navigator it don't detect the game(its scummvm version 0.11.0)..I put the folder game on the root of the card (E: ) but the program says "no game detected" when i choose the folder...
Any solution? Im puting the game in the wrong folder?If the game runs on pc, at least it should detect the game on my mobile :S weird

ps:sorry my bad english
clem

Post by clem »

my guess is that it's not supported and hence the engine is missing? (about dialog has a list of supported engines)

wiki.scummvm.org should have compatibility lists for your device somewhere
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Compatibility-schpatibility. AnotherGuest stopped compiling the Broken Sword engine into the Symbian release of ScummVM since before Gob engine support was added, and that was a loooong while ago. If you feel like giving this game a whirl on your pocket device, you'll have to compile your own build. And since most of us, programming-illiterates, can't even begin to understand where to begin with it, we suck it up. Well, at least I know that I did. Never liked the game anyway.

This matter, yet again, is one of those that get raised on a regular basis and STILL nobody uses the search function. Really, people, it's there for a reason. Yesyesyes.
clem

Post by clem »

Noelemahc wrote: This matter, yet again, is one of those that get raised on a regular basis and STILL nobody uses the search function. Really, people, it's there for a reason. Yesyesyes.
True. I could have looked up the relevant post on the forum, but I'm getting tired of it too :)
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Oh, nearly forgot. For matters of clarification,
AnotherGuest stopped compiling the Broken Sword engine into the Symbian release of ScummVM since before Gob engine support was added, and that was a loooong while ago
because the game, being SVGA and all, doesn't have very high survival chances on a Symbian device, where the highest ScummVM-supported resolution is 320x240, half of what the game needs. Although we should ask him nicely to make a test build, and test it, because CoMI (which is SVGA too) and all HE SVGA games CAN be started in the UIQ build without problems. The fact that most of them (except for Spy Fox 1 for some reason, but it still suffers from immense graphical glitchery) crash'n'burn soon thereafter is irrelevant ATM.
nipsen

Post by nipsen »

..well, on a p1 the intro does run (choppy), and the first in- game screens seem well enough (before the game hangs)..

I mean, I suppose it would be best to go for some sort of optimisation before the engine renders the picture. But I wonder what sort of scaling happens when the phone displays the 640x480 picture. And whether that really would be more resource- hungry..?

(sorry, just curious.)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well
a) Downscaling costs cpu power.. and it is bugridden, so currently turned off (vga support that is) waiting for improvements
b) As all the game resources are high resolution (vga), concider that all game graphics is 4x larger than normal qvga (320x200) games. FT which also is memoryhungry, allocates upto 20 mb (or more) when running. Run COMI on your PC and see what kind of memory allocation you get during play. Later devices such as the E90, P1i, N95 8gb and newer is having around 90 mb free working ram, so that might be a way forward in terms of memory.

So ideally I should optimize the SDL for S60v3 for 800x452 on the E90, which would require no or very little scaling for VGA games, and its cpu (300+ MHZ) would make it possible to run.

SE devices currently run at about 200-230 mhz range, so not really faster than the Nokia 6630,6680 etc, and only slightly quicker than the P900/P910/P800. The Moto Z8 on the other hand, ahs around 25 mb free, but is running at the same speed as the E90, 6120 classic, so that should have the CPU power for some games. (but no touch screen).

Compare this to run COMI on iPhone, quick PocketPC devices, they usually run abit choppy, but they are playable, and this is very powerful devices compared to most of the Symbian phones. (usually twice the resolution and twice the speed).
nipsen

Post by nipsen »

..so either way you're talking about loading the game- files for an area, then doing some sort of conversion in memory, and then playing back the scene? Or would you go for a frame- by frame render?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

One of the main problems here is the game's resolution - it's too big for the phone's screen, and has to be downscaled to fit. This means that each frame needs to be scaled down to fit, which costs CPU power that such devices don't have
nipsen

Post by nipsen »

Can't you fix it in software?
:p

But um.. so what's done now, to make it run as well as it does? (sorry to pry like this, but..) I mean, if there will be other symbian phones showing up soon that will have more memory and better processors - I'm sort of wondering how far away you are from making the vga games "playable" on the symbian builds.

(..and not perfect, like SamNMax and DOTT in the last version, with scrolling effects and sound- sync and so on - I'm not expecting that :) )