Low Volume

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

onesandzeroes

Low Volume

Post by onesandzeroes »

I'm using ScummVM on a Nokia 6120 Classic (S60). The volume level is really low, particularly when using the headset.

In a post from 2005, Anotherguest (thankyou-thankyou-thankyou, by the way) mentions that the volume level was reduced at one point to 50%. Is this still the case and is there any way I can boost the level back up again?

Thanks in advance - and as it's my first post - a big thank you to everyone involved in this project!

PS, sorry - I know there are other posts regarding volume issues, but I'm not sure whether resurrecting old threads is polite around here!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well this is a new one. Usually S60 phones has a rather high volume, so I set it internally in the SDL code to 50%. Make sure you have all the ScummVM volume settings set to max though.
onesandzeroes

Post by onesandzeroes »

Thanks for the reply (and for the port, again). I noticed that the queries on this forum about the volume being too loud easily outnumber the "too quiet" camp. I've got the volume up as loud as it goes in all the available settings.

ScummVM plays at a volume noticeably quieter than the phone's media player application - presumably that's the 50% reduction in action. Overall, my 6120's not particularly loud on headset - loud-ish environments (transport, etc) battle with the volume level anyway.

Maybe the problem's with the actual unit I've got - I'll check it out.

Is there any way to override the reduction in the mean time?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I don't have any experience with the Nokia 6120 Classic, even if I strongly been leaning towards buying one, but I recall that when it was released last summer the only complaints people had was the low volume, both the speakers and thru headphones.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

There is no current way to override this initial setting, so I have to do an implementation to handle this.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I just tested on a 6120 Classic, and I think the volume is suffcient, but not really loud. adding a way to set the volume would be nice I think (overall levels then for SDL)
onesandzeroes

Post by onesandzeroes »

Cool, great service! :lol:

The levels are fine in a quiet environment (home, for instance), but as the headset isn't shielded or noise-cancelling, using it in public - on a train for instance - means that the dialogue in ScummVM games is barely audible.

All in all, if the only complaint about the 6120 Classic is that it's a bit quiet, that's relatively good - no crashing mid-call, good battery life, Symbian, plays LucasArts games... that'll do for me...

Thanks for your speedy responses.
onesandzeroes

Post by onesandzeroes »

To reply to myself... :oops:

I managed to test the volume level on another 6120, and it's the same as my handset. So that's definitely a vote for a volume tweak, if that's not being too cheeky!

Thanks again,
OAZ
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I'm onto implementing a volume adjustor.. so watch out the SVN space for that support.
onesandzeroes

Post by onesandzeroes »

Great, thanks in advance!
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

I also have a low-volume problem.

On my Siemens SX1, the volume is too low. Especially when playing Indy Atlantis, voice-version.

All speech settings are at max, and still it's like a whisper.

Can you modify the ScummVM version for the SX1? 100% would probably be great. I can lower the volume if it would get too high.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

I know its a dumb thing to ask, but have you checked the internal volume settings of the PHONE ITSELF? It'll probably be the controls for Multimedia volume, the one that gets used, f.e., when you play musick or other games on your mobile.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I have been working on a version SDL where you can adjust the internal media player volume (as its default to 50% in previous versions). So it will be louder with that. As for a s60v2/v1 version of 9.1 with a lter version of SDL ? Well thats doable I think.
onesandzeroes

Post by onesandzeroes »

Apologies for not posting sooner - I had to wait for the public transport test!

Thanks so much for building the volume control into the new SDL - now all the games are clearly audible when using the headset in noisy public environments.

The 6120 Classic headset is pretty quiet overall, (although its loudspeaker is loud enough) so now ScummVM is louder than the default media player.

Thanks again, Anotherguest - all the other changes are working for me too.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And I have enabled asm optimizations in the current setup Im working on, so even quickgames. Even though not really needed on a quick 6120.. but nice anyway. :-)

Thanks for testing!