Touch Screen Phone

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elmintrude

Touch Screen Phone

Post by elmintrude »

Being a complete amateur to all this but on the verge of impregnating myself with excitment at the prospect of having the Monkey Islands on my phone I'm looking at getting a new one.

I want one with a stylus for ease of control but I'm not sure how this works and what phones it's compatible with.

I've seen the Samsung F700 and thought that looks alright, will ScummVm work on it? If not have you got any suggestions for a decent handset?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Don't know about decent, but since you're in the Symbian subforum, I can only recommend to you the smartphones using the Symbian platform, and since you want touch-screen support, that's only Symbian UIQ. Which means a Sony Ericsson phone, as nobody else is dumb enough to use such an undernourished, program-wise, system (unless we count in the even dumber Motorola Z8 (and its little kid, the Z10) which runs UIQ but WITHOUT the touch-screen support, so it's not only crippled in matters of software, but also can't make use of more than half of it due to lacking a stylus). Of those that still get updates of ScummVM, come only the ones using Symbian UIQ3 or newer, which is five phones total. The SE P990, which is old news. The SE W950, which I'm currently using. The SE W960, which is more of the same, but with a built-in camera. The SE M600, which is essentially W950 with a QWERTY keyboard instead of a 4GB hard drive. And the P1, which is M600 on steroids.

P.S. The Samsung F700 isn't running any OS that ScummVM currently supports. Sorry.
elmintrude

Post by elmintrude »

Thanks for the quick response pal. Glad I asked the question or I'd have end up getting a phone the size of house and not being able to use it for ScummVM. I'll check out the phones that you've mentioned and see what tickles my fancy. I've just had a quick look at the w950i though and it looks pretty good so that could well be my weapon of choice.

Cheers again for the info.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Well, there are also the smartphones that use Windows CE or Windows Mobile - allathose are also supported by ScummVM and they all can also function as mobile phones. And a lot of those have touch screens, or so I'm told. If you really really have to use them for such a mundane purpose as making a call, of course. Somehow, they never felt like they were well-suited for that. Or maybe it's my old-fashioned tastes.

That's why I originally went with the W950 - it has no built-in camera, so it's not needlessly overpriced (and if you really want it, you just get the new-and-improved W960), it's got ScummVM support, AAAAND it still looks and feels like a januwine mobile phone.

The 4GB built-in hard drive for the musick (and those of you trying to run CoMI on it) was just icing on the cake. Now I have a humongously oversized playlist of choice works pilfered from the Dwelling of Duels archives locked in a perpetual over-200-track-large shuffle.

As far as ScummVM compatibility goes for it, I can tell you the following: anything that's 320x200 works. The Humongous Entertainment games work too, despite being SVGA. Gobliiins work, Simon is slow but works, CoMI launches even... Broken Sword is a no-no; CoMI and The DIG hang or crash at the very start and aren't playable because of it, but the rest functions normally. Granted, I don't posess IHNMIMS or ITE or a lot of other stuff that's supported or will be supported somewhen in the future, but what I've already got is more than enough to sate my thirst for good old-skool gaming.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Noelemahc: You can always test the ITE demo, thats usually enough to see how well that game works on the phone. :-) Have not tested that on the latest build.
elmintrude

Post by elmintrude »

Cheers again for your god like knowledge. I've had a look around and I think I'm gonna plump for the w960. My contract is up next month so I'll go and have a feel of a few phones and take it from there. I'll post on here when I'm all sorted, you know, just for a bit of closure (although I'm certain you won't be arsed, I'm gonna do it anyway!!)
elmintrude

Post by elmintrude »

I've gots me a w960i and it's all intalled and working pretty much perfectly. I've got Sam 'n' Max, DOTT and the first 2 Monkey Islands on there. There's no sound on Monkey 1 but it sounds like a problem I've read about on another post so I'll be having a tinker around with it at the weekend. Thanks a lot for your advice and help you've enhanced my life by approximately 7%.