Broken Sword on Nokia n95

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I don't have an N95 right here, but I do own the full version of both games so therefor I know my version is working properly.
vlastik80

Post by vlastik80 »

Yes, when i bought ( today ) full versions of both games i will try on N95 and write a post here. 8)
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Will also try BS1 on my lovely N95!! Hope it works....my dream is a running Version of Curse of Monkey Island on my device! :wink:
vlastik80

Post by vlastik80 »

I tested some others on my N95 - Monkey Island 1, 2, Simon The Sorcerer 1, 2 and Legends Of Kyrandia 3 and all works fine. Thanks for good work!
I see some Dos emulator applications, but all is for ppc with windows mobile... Bad.. And what is really bad is emulator playstation one, but still only for ppc devices..
I know, that thinks is off topic, but i must wrote...
Where is problem to make Dos emulator for Symbian devices? Slow Cpu? Too little Ram? Porting? I dont understand.... Maybe because im not programmer.. But i still have that questions- why is something impossible....
Last edited by vlastik80 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

vlastik80 wrote: But I still have one question- why ScummVM doesnt work as multiplatforms emulator for many other games? As DOS emulator ( DOS BOX ) etc... ? Maybe I dont quietly understand what is ScummVM and for what is oriented only... :oops:

EDIT: Isnt easy when exist multiplatform emulation? For example- emulation DOS (+4GW support) on mobile phones, DOS ROM with all routines etc, sound support, key maps.. etc, for many games, no only for some.... Bad idea?
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, but ScummVM isn't an emulator in the sense that DOSbox is. DOSbox, to quote from its README file, "emulates he CPU, the sound and graphics card, and other peripherals of a PC". You run the original DOS program on a simulated computer. ScummVM, on the other hand, is a collection of very specific game engines. ScummVM is a replacement for the original program, which is why it only needs the data files. Both approaches have their advantages and drawbacks.

DOSbox is a lot slower, but supports more games than ScummVM could ever dream of, and unless there are bugs in the emulation, the games will run exactly as they did on a real DOS computer.

ScummVM is faster on low-end hardware, it's easier to work around bugs in the original game, and we're not limited to DOS games. But to add a new game or family of games, we have to start from scratch. The engines share a common infrastructure for sound, graphics, etc. but are otherwise completely separate from each other.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I could have sworn I saw a followup question here before about why ScummVM doesn't focus on other types of games as well.

If so... well, I guess the main reason is that the ScummVM developers like point-and-click adventures, and that's what they want to focus on. Supporting other types of games isn't the goal of the project, though it sometimes happens "inadvertently" when a particular game engine is used for different types of games.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Actually.. I have this game http://www.stupidinvaders.com/ , and reverse engineering it might be fun. But still.. almost run om Windows Xp, and on four CDs. Not sure it will fit that well on my mobile anyhow. But its very fun. And looks 3d.. but all backgrounds are prerendered. :-)

Actually what I like about ScummVM is that its perfomance on mobiles are really good. I was playing a couple of rooms on BS2 yesterday, and it played really well on my 6120 classic.

Also click and point adventures fit the phone very well, since usually the games are more thinking than action, and it works even with fiddely controls.
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

@anotherguest
Could it be that the download from your page is down? I´ve tried to download the .sis file for 3rd Edition, but I always get a message, that the side is down!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Works for me.
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Thanks!! Now it worked.....
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Another Question!!! The Downloadpack for Broken Sword dont work. WinRar says that the package is defect!! Any idea??Broken Sword 1 runs very smoothly but without any videos.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

daniel74 wrote:Another Question!!! The Downloadpack for Broken Sword dont work. WinRar says that the package is defect!! Any idea??Broken Sword 1 runs very smoothly but without any videos.
I just downloaded Sword1_DXA_Cutscenes.zip from the ScummVM downloads page, and I had no problem unpacking it. Maybe your download was terminated prematurely? The file I downloaded is 61,369,610 bytes.
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Thanks for all the help here!!! :lol:
Broken Sword now runs perfectly on my N95!
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

ARGHHHH!!!! Another question!! When I start to play, the game begins in that Cafe. After the explosion there are no dialogs to see. Only symbols down the screen and all the people, but no text. Has anyone an idea??
Ehm...and question 2. Which button is for which function??
Thanks in advantage!!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

daniel74 wrote:ARGHHHH!!!! Another question!! When I start to play, the game begins in that Cafe. After the explosion there are no dialogs to see. Only symbols down the screen and all the people, but no text. Has anyone an idea??
That's perfectly normal. The Broken Sword games represent all conversation topics as icons. In Broken Sword 1, there are two rows of icons, one at the bottom and one (anything you are carrying) at the top. In Broken Sword 2, all topics are listed at the bottom.
daniel74 wrote: Ehm...and question 2. Which button is for which function??
Thanks in advantage!!
Doesn't the manual say? Right-click examines an object, and left-click "uses" it. (Which may mean taking a closer look, talking to, etc.)