Broken Sword on Nokia n95

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

McGloomy

Broken Sword on Nokia n95

Post by McGloomy »

Is there any way for playing Broken Sword 2 on a Nokia n95? =)

EDIT:"This is one popular question, somehow. The Symbian version of ScummVM does not support Broken Sword altogether, because it's too demanding of hardware. If you want to try launching it, you're gonna have to compile the source from SVN on your own."

Oh noes.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And IF you would compile the source, there is no working vga support for S60v3 and UIQ yet, so the screen would be corrupted one way or another.
McGloomy

Post by McGloomy »

:(
A friend of mine has a N95 and he told me that he was able to play Monkey Island on it. So I just thought "ScummVM? I use that for Broken Sword!" But yeah, I see the problem now.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

First couple of monkey island games is 320x200 in resolution, perfect match with a N95, the following games use VGA (640x480) and this is also true with the BS games. But at least the n95 has a faster processor compared to most other s60v3 phones.
McGloomy

Post by McGloomy »

Any news about BS? :(
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

have not had the time to work on the vga support yet. I tried the old support and it was not really working so removed all vga support for a quicker qvga rendering
Intricate

Post by Intricate »

Hi i'm new here, so maybe a nOOb question:

I have the original BS on CD... Do i need to install it somehow on the memory card of the phone first?

Tnx
clem

Post by clem »

Intricate wrote:I have the original BS on CD... Do i need to install it somehow on the memory card of the phone first?
uuh, yes, you would need to if it worked - but the whole thread deals with it not being able to run on SymbianOS in the first place.
McGloomy

Post by McGloomy »

Any news? :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Still no proper VGA support! Work in progress. but its going slow.
McGloomy

Post by McGloomy »

Anotherguest wrote:Still no proper VGA support! Work in progress. but its going slow.
Thanks for your efforts! :D
McGloomy

Post by McGloomy »

Any news? 8)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

McGloomy wrote:Any news? 8)
If there are any news, he will probably tell us.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Since I really don't have any devices available that could run these two games, its really a low prio on my side. I still have the E61 keyboard issue to solve also
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Don't have any of the devices, but I just read that the TV-out function offered by N95 and N82 can use 640x480. It would be neat if ScummVM could take advantage of that with the games that use such resolution.

Another thing that came to my mind is that those devices have OpenGL ES 1.1 support. So one could use the relatively fast OpenGL ES bilinear filtering to shrink the 640x480 game to the 320x2400 screen, and it would still look quite good compared to the faster point-resize.

Granted, those two things require a fair chunk of work. And without Anotherguest having any device available that can run the games, I don't don't expect anything like this to happen anytime soon. But figured I would mention it here anyway.