Broken Sword on Nokia n95

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And well.. a good idea is to play the game on the PC first, just to get the hang on the controls, since somethings might be harder to read on the mobile. But if you know what the icons mean even if they are small it will be much easier.
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Thank you!! My big problem is, that I see absolutly no dialogs on the screen of my N95. Everytime there is a conversation I see no green text on the screen. That makes the game unplayable.....
clem

Post by clem »

daniel74 wrote:Thank you!! My big problem is, that I see absolutly no dialogs on the screen of my N95. Everytime there is a conversation I see no green text on the screen. That makes the game unplayable.....
You should hear voices (if the speech files are renamed correctly). Also, have you tried turning on the subtitles in the GUI?
daniel74

Post by daniel74 »

Hy Clem:-)
I´ve named all the speech files correctly!! When the game starts I hear the intro. But in the game I can only hear sounds and music, but no dialogs!

In the GUI I have activated subtitles and in the game I´ve made a hook inthe menü!!

My only idea is to delet all files just to make a new installation to try it again!!

P.S. Sorry, for my bad english!;-)
alemacis

Post by alemacis »

Anotherguest wrote:http://anotherguest.se/cvsbuilds/scummv ... nsword.sis

and

http://anotherguest.se/cvsbuilds/scummv ... nsword.sis

are two builds which only contains support for Broken Sword 1 and 2. Tested on my W960 and works fine. Engine takes around 2 mb and the game I guess up to 15 mb heap. So it should be quite playable on all Symbian UIQ3 and S60v3 phones.
If I install these builds my nokia n95 8gb ask me if I want to overwrite the scummvm v 12,the version that is already installed on my phone...I overwrite???i lost all games I had intall on my phone like monkey island or indiana jones???
Sorry for my english :0)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Its an engine replacement/upgrade from the normal 0.12.0. Just reinstall/upgrade to the normal 0.12.0 release to play those games(monkey, indy etc) again. Settings and savegames are not removed when doing so (just don't uninstall in between)
alemacis

Post by alemacis »

I have another problem...when I put broken sword in my phone and i try to load it with scumm vm,appear a sign "scummvm could not find any game in the specified directory" whats wrong???in my notebook the same game works correctly...
alemacis

Post by alemacis »

ok!!!now works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for broken sword 2 I do same things????there is a possibility to play in my phone monkey island 3 with a similar build????THANK YOU!!!!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

http://anotherguest.se/cvsbuilds/scummv ... nsword.sis
supports both Broken Sword1 &2 , so you can play both broken sword games with that version.
Last edited by Anotherguest on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alemacis

Post by alemacis »

there is a possibility to play in my phone monkey island 3 with a similar build????
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

0.12.0 build supports COMI.
roteero2001

Post by roteero2001 »

I just ran BS1 on my standard N95, runs great so far with no memory problems or anything.
I plan to play it throughly,then moving on to BS2

thanks for great achievement Anotherguest :D
roteero2001

Post by roteero2001 »

update: I did finish both BS1 and BS2 without a single crash or problem.

moving on to COMI with version 0.12.0 ,which results in frequent crashing probably due to memory issues, but I'm still glad my standard phone at least handled BS games well!

next I'm looking forward to the picodrive megacd version by Anotherguest! :D
VincentJ

Tested on a N96

Post by VincentJ »

Can confirm build works perfectly on a Nokia N96. Any sign of a build that includes the other game engines? No hassle, don't mind reinstalling the other .SIS file since I can just leave both installers on the 16GB hard drive... along with all the games ScummVM supports :) Settings are still stored (the config files don't get overwritten, must be stored elsewhere out of harm's way), don't need to manually reenter all the games. Just a quick note for the cautious minded ones out there- if you try to load Broken Sword and you've the other build installed the screen will go black for a split second and kick you back to the ScummVM menu. It won't crash the phone or do any damage. No need to worry.

Currently downloading the cutscenes, I would have to have the version which isn't supported by the mobile build. Anyways, the lowdown:

-Broken Sword 1 runs stutter free (haven't tested BS2, copying now)
-Speech is nice and clear, same as music (granted, there's a nice set of speakers on the phone but that accounts for nothing if sound emulation is garbage)
-"Mouse" zips around the screen, so no worry about the few timed puzzles the game has
-The menu (the '*' key one) is the original Windows/DOS one, not the ScummVM one used for the LucasArts games. Nice touch, thought it'd have been replaced.
-Text is a little blurry when subtitles are enabled. Still more than readable, don't get me wrong! Although with the speech being spot on it's not really an issue. Same with the Curse of Monkey Island (though it's much worse in COMI, that game is barely readable when it's zoomed out). Don't know if it's the font or the output resolution for these particular builds. In contrast, Sam N Max and Full Throttle display subtitles crystal clear. Hold the phone at a medium length for optimum reading (otherwise you'll find yourself squinting at the text instead of just reading it)

(Edit- forgot about the zoom. Text is perfect when zoomed in, but you wouldn't want to stay that way for the whole game. Anyone playing COMI will have to constantly switch back and forth every few mins as all the item descriptions are text on bottom of screen, and subtitles can't be read without zoomunless you've a general idea what it says and can make extremely educated guesses from a previous playthrough! Broken Sword is playable without having to zoom. Like I said, hold the phone at medium distance to avoid eye strain.)

-No slowdown when using both subtitles and speech together (a problem I know some of the older phones had with a few games)
-Waiting on cutscenes to download to say how they play. However, since COMI's intro sequence plays perfectly I don't see why BS's ones shouldn't.
komatoso

Post by komatoso »

With this version Broken Sword 2 runs fine on n81 but Full full Throttle doesn't work!! :(