The Dig W950i

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Razboi

The Dig W950i

Post by Razboi »

I was wondering if compressing the game will have any effect on performance, right now I have the full 700mb game on my phone and I can start it, the opening video plays fine and I can play for a very short while after although the game is a bit slow, the game crashes when I try to interact with the pig.I read that deleting the video files might make the game playable however I'd rather not do that since I've never played the game before, if there is no way to make it work on my phone I'll probably play it on my pc.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Doesn't crash for me, although there is a different problem (W950i here too, that would be the UIQ3 build for the tech-speak people) - I'm lacking speech in-game (i.e. outside the SAM-cutscenes, which I assume just have it hardwired into the audio track like they do the music) which is not entirely pleasant.

You might want to check your free RAM with Swiss Manager Pro or the like. My 21 megs seem quite enough.
Razboi

Post by Razboi »

I checked my ram and I have 17 free without scummvm started, scumm takes around 5 so I'm left with 12, is this normal? Any idea why you get more free ram then me?I have no idea why you don't get any sound, it works fine here.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

I wouldn't know if it's normal or not. I don't, however, run any third-party programs on my phone whenever I'm emulating anything (be it via ScummVM or something else), and so, w/o ScummVM I get 20-21 megs free. I really couldn't tell you why, though, honest.

As for the sound, I used the data files I had set up on my hard drive for playing in ScummVM for Windows; I'll try it again with copying the files straight from the CD next time, it worked for starting up Elvira, so why shouldn't it work now?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Update: Yep, copying it off the CD helped. Works like a charm. A stuttering fizzling charm invoked by an underaged wizard with a speech impediment, but a charm nonetheless.

It takes godawful amounts of time to load each screen, but the sound works smoothly, (though the game's startup is marred by an additional wait after a new game/game load when someone tries to speak for the first time since the game's start as it loads the speech soundfile) and so on and so forth. With all the loading issues though, I'm only halfway through Attila, having just blown up the bombs and entered the newly-made fissure. I have to assume that removing the speech from the equation, while detracting from the experience (as the "I'm still trying to figure out what you said" line is priceless with sound), will allow to significantly improve the performance...
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Update: hangs for dead during the screen scrolling in the scene in the rift-in-the-asteroid when Low attempts to drill out the first triangular plate. It gives a kernel error when the scroll starts, then plays the scene out till the end (i.e. Low gives his lines, Brink replies, Low drills, the cursor returns into existance) after which the interface ceases to function. Dang.

Using OGG-compressed files speeds up loading of locations significantly, but has no impact on the initial preloading of the speech. Too bad. I will loiter around with it some more before formulating a bug report though, it might actually be just a memory or processor overload issue.
nipsen

Post by nipsen »

I have the same thing, except I had another similar hang a bit earlier, when trying to place the nuke in quadrant with the rock. I.e, Low speaks, brink protests, there's some scrolling, and there's an error. I can continue for a bit without sound, and then it locks up.

I restarted, did something different, got past that and down to the metal plates -. and then the same hang again.