On which Mobile Phone does Scumm work best?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BlackOrange

On which Mobile Phone does Scumm work best?

Post by BlackOrange »

Hello,

I will buy a new mobile next week. One of the main priorities is to run scummVM on it. It would be great if you could help to chose one.

right now i'm thinking of:

Sony Ericsson M600/W950
Nokia N73

...but feel free to recommend other models.

Some Questions:
Is it more comfortable to use standard controller (like the stick of N73) or touchscreen?
How about technical issues. Are the mobiles fast enough to play smoothly, do they have enough ram and does scumm run stable?

Thanks
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hallo,

First of all: I have my N73 only a few days so far. I installed 0.9.0 first, and the 0.9.1 version today.
Therefore there may be some issues which I have not discovered so far.

I'm very impressed from the speed and the graphic quality on the N73. Since this phone has a 320x240 display, most games (except the VGA) can be played in native resolution: a big advantage.
ScummVM runs stable with the Scumm Games I tried (Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, DOTT, Sam&Max, Indy 4). The biggest disadvantage of 0.9.0 was the standard savegame storage path: A private folder which was not accessible with other software (e.g. in order to delete or move savegames). This issue is solved in 0.9.1.

Now the biggest disadvantage is the "Joystick" from the N73. It takes some time to move the mouse cursor to the correct position and click. "Wak a Rat" in Sam&Max ins more or less impossible to play (or I have not found the trick so far ;)).
I have also a Axim X50v (Touchscreen), which is much more comfortable.

kind regards

Frank
Last edited by frank_m24 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

frank_m24 wrote:Now the biggest disadvantage is the "Joystick" from the N73. It takes some time to move the mouse cursor to the correct position and click. "Wak a Rat" in Sam&Max ins more or less impossible to play (or I have not found the trick so far ;)).
Goetz posted a nice trick about that a while ago in this thread.
Sweeet

Post by Sweeet »

I run ScummVM on a Nokia E61 and it works flawlessly. I bought a Bluetooth Gamepad which makes playing much more fun and keeps the joystick from wearing out :).

The big display with 320x240 resolution, decent CPU power and moderate price make the E61 a very good choice for running ScummVM.